Result of 118 (.75) - selection review? (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tamisara

Re: Result of 118 (.75) - selection review? (Bucks)

Post by tamisara »

I should add, there were no scores or grading in last year's report, as they closed for Yr 5 in March, so only have a small written (and impressive, but not doesn't demonstrate academic ability in my opinion).

I guess that I scan and upload the scores (not the whole reports)?

Still waiting for the head to complete the online form.

Sorry for being so clueless. I'm a bit of a worrier (I do suffer from anxiety and bipolar, which can lead me to rushing and making mistakes).
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The head mentioned the bubble closing on the evening they took the practice test as an additional point, I'm not sure about that?
Leave it to the head to mention if the school thinks it's a valid point.
Anything written by the school carries much more weight than anything written by the parent!
Verbal 125
Mathematical 113
Non-verbal 111
I'm a bit more depressed looking at them as I'm guessing they would all need to be 125.
121 would have been quite sufficient. :lol:
I guess that I scan and upload the scores (not the whole reports)?
Scanning extracts from a report can look a bit suspicious - as if you're hiding something.

For most parents, the only academic evidence needed is the headteacher's review form.
Whether it's worth submitting something else depends on whether it adds anything of value to what is already on the headteacher's form.
Etienne
tamisara

Post by tamisara »

Thanks. Her teacher sent them home in the hope they'd help, but I will wait and see what the headteacher's report says.
tamisara

Post by tamisara »

Oh Etienne, I think I may have fallen at the first hurdle! :oops:

Her teacher contacted me, saying that the head had filled in an online form, from a link for another pupil yesterday, and she wanted me to do it. So I did, as I know the head hadn't done it from the one I filled in yesterday.

I've just read through an old thread, where you said that submitting two reviews was harmful, and I have (although I've not actually submitted anything yet, just asked for the form, but there's probably going to be two different review numbers attached to my daughter's name).

I was trying to be so careful, and have now mucked up. The council have no phone number and no email address for me to try to contact them to rectify it.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The council have no phone number and no email address for me to try to contact them to rectify it.
Admissions can be reached by means of the contact form on their website - but let me see if I can find the answer for you.
Etienne
tamisara

Post by tamisara »

Her teacher has said that they (her and the co-head), are going to do their bit of the form tomorrow afternoon. I'm anxious that if I don't get it over the weekend, then the clock will be running down (I haven't disclosed this to the school, but my anxiety and mental health has suffered since my brother suddenly died, which has brought my OCD tendencies to the fore, so am prone to panicking over everything).

I'm still unsure what I'm supposed to do. I gather from the council's site, that the school fill in the form, then send it in, then it's sent to me, to decide to submit or not. However, the school have asked me to do my bit by tomorrow. I suspect they mean the form asking for information about Selection Review (which I've done twice), but neither of them have done it before (it was the other co-head who's done it lots of times, but is off tomorrow).

"(teacher's name removed) having completed one yesterday, it was completed via a link.. She said that parents complete their bit, then clicked to submit to school (school can't see the parents section), school then complete and this gets sent to parents. I'm sorry I can't be more help...with not having a link myself to click, we can't see what it looks like for parents."

I'm pretty sure that above is referring to the link to the online form from the council, which I've already done.

When I mentioned the school reports, I didn't mean I was going to selectively choose which parts to send, just include the page which showed her scores year on year, rather than the bits about her friends and attitude in class.

Sorry for all the confusing posts.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi tamisara

I think you will need to speak to someone in Admissions to sort this out.

Go to the contact form:
https://account.buckscc.gov.uk/AchieveF ... d5ea38cc98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on:
Starting Secondary in September 2021

Click on "Select" at the bottom of the page and choose "my query isn't listed".

In the message box write that you would like someone to ring you back to help with difficulties you're having with the selection review form.

You could then explain what the difficulties are - or, if you wish, it might be quicker to provide them with a link to your thread:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 11#p751511

Underneath the message, fill in your details as requested.

Continue and submit.

Hope this will help you.
Etienne
tamisara

Post by tamisara »

Thank you Etienne.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Hi, I don't know if the selection review has changed since 2018, but this is what I did (also OOC and teachers had not done this before):

1. Requested selection review pack online from the Bucks website.

2. Printed out the entire pack (parents and head teachers sections).

3. Took the headteachers form to school and asked for them to complete it (it was very busy as it was the week before half term so I didn't get to speak to any teachers).

4. Collected the completed form from school (the day before half term so again rushed).

5. Completed my section and hand wrote everything. Included Year 5 report (glowing) which had obviously been written before the transfer test. I did this because apart from being very good, I felt that it showed the teachers' assessment of my DC in an unbiased way. Since we are OOC the review paperwork, unlike Bucks schools, was being completed by the school after the fact. I didn't want that to go against us.

6. Hand delivered the form to County Hall and got a receipt.

7. Emailed the team to get email confirmation of receipt.

8. Prayed!

Hope that's some help.

Good luck!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Deb70 wrote:Hi, I don't know if the selection review has changed since 2018, but this is what I did .......
Many thanks, Deb70. Always grateful for your continued support on here.

The main change, I think, is that everything is online this year, so we're having to adjust to a new system. Things were heading in that direction anyway, but the process has been accelerated as a result of covid-19.
Etienne