recommended papers or downloads to prepare for SET

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SuttonTowers

recommended papers or downloads to prepare for SET

Post by SuttonTowers »

Hello All

Just embarking on the long and winding road toward the SET in 2021, and wanted to ask what papers / downloads people might recommend for me to use with my son. I intend to do this with him, the two of us alone.

I have found the following sites edited by moderator

I haven't found any other sites offering materials for SET - is that because Sutton schools are on their own using SET? (I see lots for CEM, and GL for example).

Any other tips for materials would be very much appreciated. (We have been studying lots of the CGP KS2 books at home for maths and English, but I presume this isn't enough)

One final question, is ti worth signing up for the SGS PTA Mock Tests 2021 ?

Thank you again.
ST
scary mum

Re: recommended papers or downloads to prepare for SET

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum. I have removed the links as I'm afraid we only allow links to material recoomended on the shop here (and in a few cases very well known websites) as we can't be sure of the quality.
If you look on this page you will find some suggestions for practice materials.
scary mum
SuttonTowers

Post by SuttonTowers »

Thank you Scary Mum for directing me to those recommended resources.

I see that this is listed
CGP - New 11+ GL Maths Study Book (with Parents’ Guide & Online Edition)

It is described as
"This book is ideal for the 11+ tests set by GL Assessment and other test providers, and provides excellent practice for the Kent Test."

Is there much difference, then, between the GL and SET exams? I am just trying to figure this out! It doesn't mention the Sutton Test.

Thank you again
ST
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

I had one child sit 2019 11+ tests, another preparing for 2021.

In my opinion (and enthusiastically taken on board by my children), key to preparing for the tests is developing solid foundations in math to cover year 7 curriculum, VR, NVR, vocab, reading, writing etc. The specific model of tests are useful towards the final few months, for time management, question prioritization, and, in extreme situations, elimination (of incorrect options) strategy. Hopefully this last item is not needed, but worth having in your arsenal to improve your chances of picking the right answer when you are truly stumped.

Familiarity with various test models is useful only if your foundations are strong. Relying on those books as primary preparation resources would be limiting to the child's preparation, and could give a false sense of preparedness and confidence.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

2020D2022S wrote:I had one child sit 2019 11+ tests, another preparing for 2021.

In my opinion (and enthusiastically taken on board by my children), key to preparing for the tests is developing solid foundations in math to cover year 7 curriculum, VR, NVR, vocab, reading, writing etc. The specific model of tests are useful towards the final few months, for time management, question prioritization, and, in extreme situations, elimination (of incorrect options) strategy. Hopefully this last item is not needed, but worth having in your arsenal to improve your chances of picking the right answer when you are truly stumped.

Familiarity with various test models is useful only if your foundations are strong. Relying on those books as primary preparation resources would be limiting to the child's preparation, and could give a false sense of preparedness and confidence.
Great post. This +1 (even down to the 2019 and 2021 exams!)
SuttonTowers

Post by SuttonTowers »

Thanks 2020D2022S...

I have been doing as you say for the last two months, using the CGP workbooks for maths and English KS2. SO good advice and I agree. I think I was asking this question as I felt it was time for him to start getting his head around the format of the exams, multiple choice etc.

I dont suppose you, having already done this for one of your children, might be able to explain to me if the SET is closer in alignment to GL or CEM ?

Thanks again,
ST
Last edited by SuttonTowers on Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

also, this link from NonSuch (SET school) is useful (and you have probably seen it)

http://www.nonsuchschool.org/416/advice ... ance-tests
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
SuttonTowers

Post by SuttonTowers »

Thanks 2020D2022S, no I hadn't.
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

SuttonTowers wrote: ...I dont suppose you, having already done this for one of your children, might be able to explain to me if the SET is closer in alignment to GL or CEM ?
We didn't prepare for the test format as such, and the first of those commercial books I bought was during summer. Prior to that was using whatever was freely available here or elsewhere, to build a knowledge library, rather than to improve test taking skills.

For SET, it was a lot of math and English. Overall there was a lot of discussing back and forth, why's and how's of the right answers and wrong answers, until both of us were clear on the underlying concepts, rules or principles. And also a lot of writing practice. Our preparation routine was : (1) read the question, (2) understand what is asked for, (3) recognize any trip-points, (4) answer the question, and (5) explain the answer. The last one was key in identifying weak points (strategies, techniques, reasonings, etc) early on and fix those. BTW, those skills are still relevant in her current Y7 homeworks etc.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes to your question about the Sutton mocks. I can't praise them highly enough and they will really help you with timings as the student will need to go at a very smart pace. DG