St John Enfield (for Y7)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tarajisifa

St John Enfield (for Y7)

Post by Tarajisifa »

Hello all,

I cannot seem to find much about this school on here, last posts were about 9 years ago. Does anyone know much about the school? From their website - not too much on it, it seems to do less subjects at GCSE than most schools. How is the Pastoral Care? Is it difficult to get into (competitive as DAO, etc)?

Any reviews welcome, and suggestion for other co-ed's around St Albans, Welwyn, Potters Bar.

Thanks a lot.
Daogroupie

Re: St John Enfield (for Y7)

Post by Daogroupie »

If you are talking about the school on the Ridgeway I have never known an applicant fail to secure a place.

Some students who do not secure a place at DAO go there.

It is a through school and the standard of the prep is not high so this brings down the standard of the cohort. But I can understand parents who just do not want to deal with the 11 plus seeing this school as a good way out.

It is nowhere the standard of other local alternatives such as St Albans, HABS and DAO. DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I've known a few people whose children go there - I think 8 or 9 over the years. I've not known any who have kept their children there through to year 11, for various reasons.
I can't imagine anyone not being offered a place.
I know some teachers who have tutored students from there and haven't been impressed.
Tarajisifa

Post by Tarajisifa »

Thank you so much for your responses. Yes, the one on the Ridgeway. We have some more insight now. We are feeling rather stuck as we put all our eggs in few baskets and may not make it for the partially selectives in North aand South Herts. Now several independent schools have passed their application deadlines.

If anyone knows any co-ed Independents in Welwyn, Potters Bar, St Albans area and slightly beyond that they could recommend, we will appreciate.

How is Bishop Stortford? Though the deadline has passed . . .

Once more, thanks for your help.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sherrardswood in WGC.

Haileybury in Hertford

Certainly better than St Johns.

I think you should put quality of education higher than co-ed and then your net would widen. DG
Tarajisifa

Post by Tarajisifa »

Thank you so much for your help. We are too late now for Haileybury which seems to be the better of the two. Yes, we are realizing that co-eds are few and far between. We would prefer if all the siblings went to one school where possible. Was looking at Princess Helena though I don't know too much about it and couldn't find historical educational data on their site.

Once more, thanks.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I recommend that you write to Haileybury with your circumstances and ask if they can put you on a waiting list for a possible space.

I know parents who applied who have other options so they may end up with spaces.

Any luck with Sherrardswood?

Another option would be the 13 plus prep at Lochinver in Potters Bar.

They will have places in Y7 as some of their boys have got into QE, Latymer and DAO and will get into other private schools at 11 plus such at St Albans, HABS and MT.

Lochinver will then prepare for 13 plus at St Albans and HABS. DG
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think you might have a dd in case contact St Francis Letchworth, excellent school which may well have spaces come up so really worth getting on the waiting list. DG
Tarajisifa

Post by Tarajisifa »

Oh, thanks so much for the options. Yes, thought of Lochinver but didn't look into it as I thought it was primary only. Yes, we have a DD first and after talking to a few people including teachers, we are beginning to consider girls only schools too. We did phone and email Bishop Stortford so we are on waiting list. Will look into Lochinver, St Francis, Haileybury, Sherrardswood and Princess Helena coming week.

Once more, thanks for the leads.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Lochinver is a boys 13 plus prep, the others are co-ed, St Francis is girls. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now