to feel guilty or not to feel guilty

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kentish maid

to feel guilty or not to feel guilty

Post by kentish maid »

AHHHH

Sorry just have to let it all out.

DD has had a relaxed summer. We have only done about six practise papers over the summer holidays. Now i am panicking that i should have forced her to do more. Friends have been talking about doing an hour a day and of all the local private schools running their eleven plus clubs ie extra intensive tuition.

In my sane moments i try and remind myself that this is not the be all and end all.

Thank god this will be over with in a few weeks. Then of course there is the agony of a near fail...an unsuccessful HT review... and the decision re whether to mount an appeal.

Wheres the wine!!!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

don;t feel guilty

She has had a relaxed Summer and so have you. She has done 6 practice papers and will be going back to school refreshed. No need for overkill

Enjoy that wine
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

This could be me writing that! I have tried to get my DD to do one ten minute test per day and to practice mental maths and then do a 50 minute full paper at the weekend. I felt that she needed a holiday too. In practice we haven't managed that at all - we manage the 50 minute test but probably only three 10 minute papers during the week.

I have three younger children so it is so difficult to find even ten minutes where I don't have to dash off to wipe a bottom/break up an argument etc!

One friend has done absolutely nothing with her son (he has refused!) but others have been intensively hothousing. Will be interesting to see what the results are. I am very much getting to the stage now that I want it over and done with (and want to know the results too!).
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

From extremely limited experience... you absolutely should not feel guilty.

For our DD's 11+ experience we did no work over the summer and then had a plan of action until the test dates Nov/Dec.

If anything I think we may have peaked too soon but in the end we were happy with the outcome.

Ditch the guilt and plan the weeks until T-Day; you have enough time... after all how many of these damm questions can you cope with until you go completely around the bend?

Good Luck
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:From extremely limited experience... you absolutely should not feel guilty.

For our DD's 11+ experience we did no work over the summer and then had a plan of action until the test dates Nov/Dec.

If anything I think we may have peaked too soon but in the end we were happy with the outcome.

Ditch the guilt and plan the weeks until T-Day; you have enough time... after all how many of these damm questions can you cope with until you go completely around the bend?

Good Luck
SVE
The Kent tests are less than 2 weeks away. :!:
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Yer wot?!?!

I thought they were 17 and 18 September - that's just under three weeks or at least that is what I thought they were in Tunbridge Wells.

Does anyone know for certain? My daughter is at one of the main catchment schools so there will be 40-50 children in her year group sitting it. Maybe it is earlier for out of catchment children.

TWells mum
kentish maid

Post by kentish maid »

The tests are on the 18th and 19th Sept for in county and the 20th for out of county, see KCC's own website.

The wine has helped a little. Not much i can do about it now anyway.

Thank you Ed's mum for your PM.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

I have the dates down as Thursday 17th and friday 18th sept for Kent.
Kentish maid, rest assured we all feeling the same mixture of panic/guilt and wondering if we should be putting our chldren through this to start with!
I am now relieved it will be over in a few weeks and am going to make sure my son enjoys year six to the full :wink:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Thursday 18th September and Friday 19th of September according to my Calendar!!
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Blond moment YoYo :oops: yes, thurs 18th, fri 19th.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now