Reminder for September 2009 Y7 OOC applications

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Reminder for September 2009 Y7 OOC applications

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... 1685116339

The deadline is fast approaching ....
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

Guest55s link contains info on open evenings...

All schools should be able to put on a show in the evenings.

My recommendation would be to ask for a day time visit to see the school in working action, particulary bell time. How do the children walk around the school, listen. Watch children being taught in lessons, not just the ones you are being taken to, peep through the glass doors/windows, what is the interaction like.

Ideally I would be looking at my choices while the children are in year 5. The beginning of year 6 is such a busy time, practice tests, late nights with open evenings, actual testing, new teachers, different expectations etc etc.

Patricia
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

How silly Beaconsfield High is haveing an open evening the day before one of the 11+ test!!

They do have three but this is the only one where the head will address the parents. I for one don't wnat my dd up late or worrying about actuall schools the night before the test

I would have thought the schools would know the dates and try to work around them

Mel
:?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Can I just endorse Patricia's suggestion to go round during the day? You see the school in a much more 'normal' way. The open evenings are best done in Y5 with the 'day' visit in Y6.

Listen out to what is said about diplomas and functional skills - are the school 'on the ball' with the changes ...

How much choice do they get at GCSE? Some schools offer 'free' choice with blocks constructed arond the pupils' choices - this is much better. How are KS3/KS4 split? Is this the best for your child - mine was certainly not ready to choose GCSEs in Y8!

Don't just look at results - will you child be happy and be enabled to develop their individual strengths?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

The heads talk is normally quite early on, go for the talk on that day, but leave the 'looking' to one of the other days.

Patricia
Y

Re: Mel x

Post by Y »

Mel X wrote:How silly Beaconsfield High is haveing an open evening the day before one of the 11+ test!!

They do have three but this is the only one where the head will address the parents. I for one don't wnat my dd up late or worrying about actuall schools the night before the test

I would have thought the schools would know the dates and try to work around them

Mel
:?
Go by yourself if you want to hear the head's talk; your daughter is likely to be bored anyway. If you live in some areas, BHS is your only choice of GS for a girl, and in that case, you may as well visit it after the results are out.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Do check first that they are happy for you to go round in the daytime.

One very over-subscribed GS is flatly refusing to allow daytime visits. After all, why bother if you can fill every place without making an effort? :x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think this is an appalling attitude - what have they got to hide?

As a teacher the day visits are much more relaxed than the 'artificial' evening 'show' ...
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Thank you for all your suggestions and yes maybe we will do go to the evening one without dd.

I agree that day visits would be better but am a litle worried about how our primary school will feel about my taking dd out for day visit

Mel
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now