Was the CEM paper for Woodford harder this year?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mitasol

Re: Was the CEM paper for Woodford harder this year?

Post by mitasol »

There is a freedom of information request here that has a lot of information about the previous admissions round.
Dear Redbridge Borough Council,

Could you please provide an anonymised list of all scores for admission into Year 7 September 2020 for Woodford County High School along with following information (columns):

1. Total Score
2. Preference Rank (of Woodford County e.g. Preference 1, Preference 5 etc)
3. Criteria (e.g. IN Grammar CCA, Pp & Passmark, OUT Grammar CCA)
4. Preference Status (e.g. Offered, Accepted, Withdrawn, Rejected etc)
5. Status Reason (e.g. Higher Pref Offered, Place Offered etc)
6. Reason for No Offer (If not offered)

Please provide me data that is correct as of 18th March 2020 or later.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/cy/reque ... chool_2020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mumsmi

Post by Mumsmi »

Thank you for this, it really helps. Judging my last years admissions it looks like we would be around 80 on the waiting list :-( which seems a bit far fetched in terms of getting a place. At least now I can manage my daughters expectations!
devg

Post by devg »

mitasol wrote:A standardised score does not tell you how hard or easy a test was. Nor does it tell you how may questions you answered correctly. A standardised score tells you how your child performed in relation to the other candidates.

A standardised score of 100 would usually indicate the average score placing you in the middle of the range of candidates.

You need to keep in mind that the children sitting these tests are likely to be much stronger than the national average. Even so, within this stronger cohort they are being ranked. If they sat the same test and got the same raw score but with a different set of children, they would obtain a different standardised score.
thanks for the explanation.

However, if the exam was difficult this year then there could be more students near the mean score and hence the cut-off score could be lesser than 110.46? Is that a possibility? I am aware that the number of students who might not accept the offer at Woodford county would affect the cut-off score. However I have heard from multiple sources that the paper was relatively difficult this year and hence was wondering if the cut off score could be lesser than last year - well, just hoping :-(.
Mumsmi

Post by Mumsmi »

I’m hoping that is the case too! In previous years some with lower scores have made the cut-off but could that be because the number of children sitting the exams were less?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The standardised score accepted could go up or down depending on a number of factors including:-

How many children sat the test
Their admission priority . (The number of in catchment, out of catchment and qualified PP etc)
How many children listed the school on their CAF, who cannot be offered a higher preference

The difficulty of the test is less of a factor as it has been accounted for in the standardised scores. A score of 110 would put you approximately in the top 25% regardless of if the test was easy or hard. So last year the school could accommodate most applicants who scored in the top 25% (110) and were in catchment.

This year is as yet unknown -it could be the top 20% or 30% which would be represented by different standardised scores.
Mumsmi

Post by Mumsmi »

Thank you, I guess we have to wait and see July the sounds of it.
devg

Post by devg »

mitasol wrote:The standardised score accepted could go up or down depending on a number of factors including:-

How many children sat the test
Their admission priority . (The number of in catchment, out of catchment and qualified PP etc)
How many children listed the school on their CAF, who cannot be offered a higher preference

The difficulty of the test is less of a factor as it has been accounted for in the standardised scores. A score of 110 would put you approximately in the top 25% regardless of if the test was easy or hard. So last year the school could accommodate most applicants who scored in the top 25% (110) and were in catchment.

This year is as yet unknown -it could be the top 20% or 30% which would be represented by different standardised scores.
thanks, this really helps to understand how the system works.

In the email which Redbridge has sent with the results, they have said

"Please note: information in relation to the 11+ test results for 2021 admission, will be published on the Redbridge website from 1 January 2021."

Does anyone know what kind of information will be published from 1st Jan.?

"
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Possibly the same information as that on the website currently, regarding last year's statistics?

https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/schools/redbridge-11-plus/

2020 - 11 Plus test results and statistics

The information provided is in relation to registrations received for the 11 plus and for those who sat the test for the Redbridge Grammar Schools for entry in September 2020.

Registrations (PDF 288 KB)Pupils who sat the test (PDF 266 KB)Scores (PDF 267 KB)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mumsmi

Post by Mumsmi »

Thank you for this. I guess it all depends on how many sat the test, how many put Woodford as their first choice and how many are OOC.
DxbMama

Post by DxbMama »

Mumsmi wrote:Thank you for this, it’s really helpful and makes sense!
I suppose the only way for us to know the likelihood of getting a place Will depend on how many children took the test and how many will put the school as their first choice. With our score it’s a long shot but still a shot possibly...
Hi Mumsmi - this is my first post. Just wanted to say that anything can happen. My DD got an ok score which would have placed her around 90th on the waiting list last year going by actual scores. But the FoI request made earlier by someone showed her to be in the top 180 when taking into account OOC and first preference school choice offers. So don't lose hope, it's still possible.

Redbridge has posted on their site how many kids sat the test and from which borough etc.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now