Need Help - DIY Queries for 2021

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2021EnTrY

Need Help - DIY Queries for 2021

Post by 2021EnTrY »

Hi All Seniors & Experienced Forum Members,

First of all thanks for the valuable contributions, its such a wonderful forum and so many helpful members.

We are based in High Wycombe (Bucks) and my DS will give his 11+ exam in 2021.

Please can someone can help me with

1) Which exam board will be used either GL or CEM in 2021.
2) Son is going fine in NVR and Maths but comprehension is not as strong. Any suggestion on how to improve as we still have time.

Thanks in advance.
patricia

Re: Need Help - DIY Queries for 2021

Post by patricia »

The contract with GL Assessment is for 5 years, this year is the third year of testing.

Have a look at the following thread regarding DIY

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 08#p652808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
2021EnTrY

Post by 2021EnTrY »

patricia wrote:The contract with GL Assessment is for 5 years, this year is the third year of testing.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 08#p652808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
Extremely thankful Patricia for your wonderful post.

Please can some tell me any technique/ easier way on how to explain to my DS to caluclate the number of days between January 25 to Feb 10 (these sort of questions)

Thanks in advance.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

2021EnTrY wrote:
patricia wrote:The contract with GL Assessment is for 5 years, this year is the third year of testing.

Patricia
Extremely thankful Patricia for your wonderful post.

Please can some tell me any technique/ easier way on how to explain to my DS to caluclate the number of days between January 25 to Feb 10 (these sort of questions)

Thanks in advance.
On that specific question, I can't personally think that many of my contemporaries got as far as 'upper juniors' without having had the ditty Thirty days hath September, April, June and November. All the rest have thirty one, 'cept February with 28 days clear, and 29 in each Leap Year (or some variant thereof) engraved upon their brain :lol:. So, 31 - 25 = 6, plus 10.

I seem to remember that one of the variants involved all the other months having 31, except my Grandma - and she's got a little red bicycle, which came from the lyrics of a daft pop song of the time. Slightly less useful...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
patricia

Post by patricia »

There is a method using your knuckles but can be quite cumbersome.

I always say that the children only need to learn the first part of the rhyme as they already know some have 30, some have 31 and February has 28 or 29.

So they learn:
30 days hath September, April, June and November...
They then know that all the rest have 31 except that "Pesky February" which messes it up.

With regard to leap years tell the children as long as the last two digits of the year divide by 4 - it's a leap year.

Patricia
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

patricia wrote:There is a method using your knuckles but can be quite cumbersome.

I always say that the children only need to learn the first part of the rhyme as they already know some have 30, some have 31 and February has 28 or 29.

So they learn:
30 days hath September, April, June and November...
They then know that all the rest have 31 except that "Pesky February" which messes it up.

With regard to leap years tell the children as long as the last two digits of the year divide by 4 - it's a leap year.

Patricia
Except the 'century' years; the first two of digits also have to be divisible by 4. Or, more accurately, not only divisible by 100, but also by 400 - so 2000 was, but 1700, 1800 and 1900 weren't. Although tbf, it would be a very mean 11+ maths question that included February to March 1900 in its span :lol:.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
patricia

Post by patricia »

Very good Toadmum :D And yes, very mean.
2021EnTrY wrote: Please can some tell me any technique/ easier way on how to explain to my DS to caluclate the number of days between January 25 to Feb 10 (these sort of questions)
The problem with this type of question is the wording, sometimes the questions asks "between" so you do not count the first and last day - making 6 for January and 9 for February.

Other times it may ask "starting on January 25," which means you have to include that day so a simple 31 minus 25 will not work as they need to take into account that first day - making 7 for January.

Simple questions but so easy to get wrong if the children do not read the question properly.

Patricia
2021EnTrY

Post by 2021EnTrY »

Extremely thankful to you Patricia.

Please can you or some senior suggest me when to use GL Assessment Practice Papers (12 Pack Bundle)

Also any idea about the dates of the 11plus this year?

Thanks in advance
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

2021EnTrY wrote:Extremely thankful to you Patricia.

Please can you or some senior suggest me when to use GL Assessment Practice Papers (12 Pack Bundle)

Also any idea about the dates of the 11plus this year?

Thanks in advance
Have you read all the information about the 11 plus on the Buckinghamshire Council website? At the moment the dates of the 11 plus are given on there as 07-09 September.
There is also information avilable on The Buckinghamshire Grammar Schools website
scary mum
2021EnTrY

Post by 2021EnTrY »

Extremely thankful for that information.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now