11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lancaster_Girls

Where are all the Lancaster Parents?

Post by Lancaster_Girls »

Or am I the only anxious one?
fi

Post by fi »

Hi,
I'vefinally remembered what my user name and password were. My DS wants to go to LRGS and will take the test in Sept. He's very laid back about it all. I gave him the practice test they send out around Easter time and he seemed ok. I bought the tutors cd for VR and one of the maths ones and he's done a few of those (about 3 of each). Doesn't seem much available to practice English. I've got the NFER papers but was saving those to nearer the time. However I guess it is nearly the time!
Fi
Lancaster_Girls

Hi Fi

Nice to here from someone local at last!
My daughter is going to sit LGGS this September - I can't believe how soon it has come round!

We are just outside the catchment area, are you within Lancaster City?

My friends son has just finised yr 7 at LRGS and he has loved every minute.

Heres hoping and fingers crossed.
fi

Post by fi »

Yes, I'm sure there must be more Lancaster people around. We live next door to the boys grammar so fortunately are within the catchment. Do you know what marks they need to get for an out of catchment place? Ds has just done an NFER English paper after much coersion and seems ok. From his mistakes there's not much I could teach him to help so I just went through the ones he got wrong and told him why and that's it till tomorrow when I'll ask him to do VR. How is your dd getting on?
Fi
Lancaster_Girls

Hi again.

We went to the open evening at LGGS and the HT said that girls living outside the catchment area would have to pass all three tests to a high standard to stand a chance of a place whereas girls within the catchment area needed to perform well in two tests and if they didn't do as well in the third the school would still look at them for a place. The school changes the pass rate every year.

Seems a bit unfair as this surely means that they may pass up a girl outside the catchment area who would be better suited to LGGS than one that lives within the area! The sad thing is we only live 3 miles out of the boundary.

DD has tried really hard with the VR and Maths, she thinks she struggles more with the English but when she will do them she actually does ok.

At least we won't have to wait as long to find out if we are in or not - is that the same for LRGS?
fi

Post by fi »

Hi wonder if there's anyone else from Lancaster?
Ds also finds English the hardest and I find it the hardest to advise him on. Also the practise paper from the grammar seems different than the NFER tests so I'm not sure what to get him to practise. I'm glad that we get to find out the results sooner this year. If DS doesn't get in then he'll have to sit the Ripley test. I know a number of people on my estate who moved here just to get into the catchment area. It must be very frustrating being just outside the catchment especially when people are doing that.
suehig

entrance exam for lggs

Post by suehig »

Can't believe the exam is so close now. Have you managed to keep the practice going over the holidays? We've found it very hard and are now hearing of girls having 'mock exams ' with their tutors before returning to school in September. It's all adding to the pressure of applying when you don't live in the catchment area.
s
anxious of garstang
fi

Post by fi »

Hi,
I had good intentions of getting ds to practise over the summer but in total so far he has done the papers given by the GS and 3 NFER papers for Eng, Maths, VR. However this is since we started thinking about it at Easter. It's quite alarming to read the amount of practise/ tutoring that goes on in some areas. I'm hoping that as we have maths, english and verbal reasoning it's a more general test of ability rather than tutoring but I'll wait and see.
Fi
Lancaster_Girls

I have to admit it has been really hard keeping up the practise papers in the holidays. Whats this about "mock exams"? :shock:

I have friends with children at both Lancaster Grammars and they have both experienced children who gained places through lots of tutoring and are now struggling to keep up!

Nice to see that there is another Lancaster parent among us - are you in the catchment are?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now