Book recommendations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Brackenboo

Book recommendations

Post by Brackenboo »

With my DD we worked through the CGP 10 minute tests and some of the assessment papers. This time I've bought the practice books from CGP and was wondering about whether it was best to get something different to the 10 minute tests from CGP as I think some of the content is the same.

Any recommendations? His school work isn't challenging so thinking of trying to get a bit more 11+ under our belts over the next few weeks as he prefers doing that :)
Polgara_Glos

Re: Book recommendations

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Hello!

We had bond CEM 10 min books as well but CGP fitted the test more in terms of question style I think. Bond wouldn't be quite as clear and the comprehension would have a written 2 mark answer. But they were good for mixing things up and definitely harder.

Have you seen this: The Cadwaladr Quests (Book One: Tangled Time) they are books written with the vocab in and have explainers on each page.
SwimmingUpstream

Post by SwimmingUpstream »

We used all 3 with DD, and I think that although the content is similar the focus is slightly different.

The workbooks are more about learning/ consolidating the content.

The 10 minute tests are about speed and answering the questions quicker, because there isn't that limit in the workbooks.

The assessments build on the speed with overall timing, filling in the right style of answer sheet, and techniques like moving on if you get stuck and concentrating for the full duration of the exam.

The big difference between those who qualified this year and those who didn't, within our primary, seems to be those who started working on timing early and those who didn't cover more than content until just before the exam.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Thanks, we have got that book. But I found all the vocab a little off putting. Will start using it again with reading.

I might have a look at the Bond 10minute tests, then we can do those alongside the tests at the back of the CGP books before we get some proper tests to look at.

Finding it harder this time as I'm not sure he will be where he should be at the end of the school year as not sure they will cover everything, so trying to make sure we do it at home.
Ginger40

Post by Ginger40 »

We moved onto the bond non verbal reasoning assessment tests as we found DD just didn’t have enough question and speed practice in the the NVR 10 minute tests ( I think it’s only 16 questions in 10 mins), in reality they need to answer a lot more questions at a quick pace. Bond also do age 11-12 as well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now