March 1st process

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LdS

March 1st process

Post by LdS »

Hello all

My son passed the Wilsons second round, but of course we wont know if he has a place until March 1.

As I understand it if he isn't offered a place on Offers Day he is placed in a "waiting list" for Wilsons until September (?) and in the meantime he would then be offered his 2nd preferred school?

Would appreciate if anyone could share their advice as to what the process is on the following (as don't have any previous experience):
1. would we have to accept the 2nd preferred school in March?
2. if my son is then offered a Wilsons place at a later date what happens next?

many thanks!!
mad?

Re: March 1st process

Post by mad? »

LdS wrote:Would appreciate if anyone could share their advice as to what the process is on the following (as don't have any previous experience):
Yes. To not do so would risk your DC having no school at all.
LdS wrote:2. if my son is then offered a Wilsons place at a later date what happens next?
many thanks!!
It depends - when you get your DC's allocation, you should be informed what the process is. If not call your LA and the relevant school at that time to ask. At the time of allocation if DC does not get Wilson's make sure he is on the waiting list (again the process for this should come with the allocation email) and then if he gets offered you should be told what to do next. Good luck.
mad?
LdS

Post by LdS »

mad? wrote:
LdS wrote:Would appreciate if anyone could share their advice as to what the process is on the following (as don't have any previous experience):
Yes. To not do so would risk your DC having no school at all.
LdS wrote:2. if my son is then offered a Wilsons place at a later date what happens next?
many thanks!!
It depends - when you get your DC's allocation, you should be informed what the process is. If not call your LA and the relevant school at that time to ask. At the time of allocation if DC does not get Wilson's make sure he is on the waiting list (again the process for this should come with the allocation email) and then if he gets offered you should be told what to do next. Good luck.

Thank you - very clear!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

You would usually only have a short turnaround to accept or decline the place (because if you are declining it, it then gets offered to the next person on the waiting list) and the same (but usually a bit longer) re your DC actually physically starting at the school, if you accept. When DD got a mid-year place, we received the offer on a Tuesday afternoon and the expected start date was the following Monday, but in principle, the move can be arranged by mutual agreement for as soon as the very next day.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I have a questions regarding the process as well.
My son passed Wallington/Sutton/Wilson's exam, I understand still have a chance no offer from these schools.

In that case, will I get a exam result from these schools?
Thanks.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

No, if your son passed those exams you won't be told the score, even if you aren't offered a place.

If you put them in the top three spaces on the CAF and aren't offered a place at one of them on 1 March, you will be able to go on the waiting list for each of them and will be able to find out where you are on the waiting list, although it may be several weeks before waiting list positions are released.
Stanton

Post by Stanton »

LdS wrote:Hello all

My son passed the Wilsons second round, but of course we wont know if he has a place until March 1.

As I understand it if he isn't offered a place on Offers Day he is placed in a "waiting list" for Wilsons until September (?) and in the meantime he would then be offered his 2nd preferred school?

Would appreciate if anyone could share their advice as to what the process is on the following (as don't have any previous experience):
2. if my son is then offered a Wilsons place at a later date what happens next?

many thanks!!

Just to be clear, if he is not offered his 1st choice, he may then be offered his 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th choice (dependent on which criteria he meets and based on number of choices you put on his form). You should accept an offer while you sit on waiting list for others - you are automatically placed on waiting lists for any school you ranked higher than the one you've been offered. If you want to join waiting list for schools ranked lower, you must contact the school directly to request this.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now