Is your child struggling with lockdown learning?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hopoe

Is your child struggling with lockdown learning?

Post by hopoe »

My son is in year 9 at a Surrey grammar. He has struggled to engage with lockdown lessons. Even though the offering from the school is a lot better this time round than it was back in the spring of 2020, the monotony of it all is really getting at him. He has low mood now, misses his friends and finds it hard to concentrate on lessons. Anyone else finding the same thing? I’m not looking for answers as I don’t really think there are any at this stage, except for lockdown to end. I do worry that there will be longer lasting emotional damage though, not to mention a decline in academic attainment which I’m not sure will be corrected by year 11.
hermanmunster

Re: Is your child struggling with lockdown learning?

Post by hermanmunster »

I don't have any children doing this but know people who are working with some of the children who are having online learning - albeit from school - I think it is incredibly hard for the kids and am sure many will find it hard to engage. I know I would have done, there really is something missing not having class mates around you.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I have a year 8 that is basically a shell of his normal self regarding his learning. Couldn’t agree more with what you are saying.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We have arranged lunches and simple fun quizzes over Zoom to keep the friendships going. We all require social interaction with a peer group. DG
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Yes. I have a son in year 10 and he has developed what I think is an unhealthy routine of sleeping after school and being awake when we're all asleep. Since he's doing all his work I haven't made a big deal of it, and he does chat and laugh with his friends remotely playing on their games consoles. But I know it's affecting his learning quite negatively even though his grammar school have been fantastic with the online learning. I'm at work and find it difficult to monitor his studies although the school are quick to inform me if he's missed anything. We recently had a remote parents evening and his teachers all said that he's extremely bright and had a high YELIS score, scores highly in tests etc. But classwork is often late/not the level he's capable of. It does worry me because although he does well under exam conditions there might be no final exam and they would need to use classwork to base a grade on. Other than praising him for working hard, which I know he still does, I don't think it would be productive to nag him. I'm just hoping they can go back to school soon and the lockdowns in year 9 and 10 haven't affected him too badly.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Sending virtual hugs to all of you in this situation and most of all your DC. It must be awful. I can't think of any reassurance except that this too will (eventually) pass.
mad?
hopoe

Post by hopoe »

Thank you for your replies. Good to hear some DS are managing with parents’ help to maintain some standards, but also that we’re not alone in facing these problems. DS is probably at the lesser achieving end of the spectrum these days. He is really unmotivated and I think his mental health has been affected. Potentially he would have struggled anyway but lockdown has undoubtedly amplified his problems. I am going to woman up and tackle his internet use, which or some months has been unlimited. It now needs to go off at night so he gets some proper sleep. He’s also going to speak to the GP this week about his low mood.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hope things sort out hopoe, it is so hard at the moment - what would we all say in normal times?

"make sure they get lots of exercise, encourage hobbies, keep in touch with friends .... " just what they can't do now :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now