Do I or Don't I Tutor!!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Harriet

Do I or Don't I Tutor!!

Post by Harriet »

Until I read the topics raised on this Website I was certain that I had no choice but to have my Yr 5 tutored for next years 11+ exams.
She is bright and willing, unlike her sister whom we knew would not cope at a Grammar School, but lays average in a very good school.
On speaking with local tutors no one will advise me of her starting ability, apparantly it is unimportant as they will improve -- of course they will!! I need to know how much time we need to put in and whether it will all be worth it. No one wants to put their child through unecessary stresses and see them fail, but how do you save her when she clearly feels that she has no choice as 27 out of 31 children in her class are already been tutored for the same exam.
Her natural talents will, as we have seen happen before, fall behind the rest in class and this will have an impact on her self asteem.

I feel as if I need to keep up with the 'Jones's' or else my daughter will be left behind -- for just being herself. But then perhaps that isn't a bad thing, at least she wont struggle for the other 5 years of her schooling.
Help!! What do I do.

Post by Guest »

There is no question, if your daughter is bright she will probably do well anywhere. However, if you want her to pursue a grammar school education, tutoring (either via a specific outside tutor or DIY) is not a case of 'keeping up with the Jones' it is now essential to get through the 11+ exam.

The lead up to the 11+ and what's associated with it sometimes seems unfair, unnecessary, costly and so much more but it is currently the system required to get into a grammar school - you can't beat it so I afraid you have to join it - and that, at the end of the day, means providing your child with some form of tuition.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

My reasoning is the following: if you are looking at a region or school that takes the top 30% (or 10, 5 ec..) and you think your child roughly falls in this category (top 30 or 10 ot 5%), then consider the grammar.
If you decide that your child would benefit from grammar education, go for it, and start tutoring, either by using a professional or yourself. If you chose turoring, don't do it half heartedly, or your child will make an effort that may lead to nothing.

Just my opinion... lots of different opinions about tutoring....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now