Transition

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2Socks

Transition

Post by 2Socks »

I'm hoping that someone can give some advice on how I can best help prepare DD for secondary school. (I can't imagine it matters but if it does make a difference, she will get a place at one of the grammars.) At the moment all I am really aware of is things like the uniform and making sure that she can tie a tie etc.

The primary school apparently normally try to give them a bit of support for the transition, but I am not sure how much they will be able to do this year, so if anyone has anything that worked for their DC (or themselves) or anything they wish they'd known I'd be grateful if you could share!
starcrazy

Re: Transition

Post by starcrazy »

Trying to remember what we did two years ago! Primary school didn’t do much, the secondary sent a teacher to have a chat with my son and set expectations around homework and behaviour during the first few days of term.

Be prepared for them to be very tired during the first few weeks at least. We had a meltdown at the end of week three, as some pupils in another form had done something that merited all the Y7’s being given a firm word from their form tutors to ensure it didn’t enter their heads again. That was my sons first real experience of being told off by a teacher even though it wasn’t directed at him personally, and it made quite the impression!

Being able to secure a tie if it’s a uniform requirement, printing several copies of the timetable and making sure there is one in the bag and one in the zipped blazer pocket as they always seem to get lost, make sure they have either a small amount of cash or a debit card with them just in case. Practice the route from bus stop to school and/or walking home if appropriate. Make sure they have a safe place for a house key if needed. Making sure their school bag is packed (by then) the night before, how they can find their homework timetable, road safety refresher.

I’m hopeful that Y6 will be back in school for the summer term and that they’ll have a transition day as usual. I know it all went awry last year but schools have more procedures in place now (secondaries having forms stay in one room all day etc.)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

May I suggest that house keys, if secured to something, are secured either to an inside pocket of the DC's blazer or to a trouser pocket. That way, far less likely to arrive home locked out as well as bagless, should they happen to leave their schoolbag on the bus.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Eviewin

Post by Eviewin »

If they’re using public transport where it’ll be harder to track down lost bags, coats, musical instruments - we bought a set of Tiles key finders which allow you to find where they are if they don’t make it home. Having the ‘find my phone’ app or equivalent is also handy - we tracked down a missing phone to the school field! :roll:
Eviewin

Post by Eviewin »

And what I wish I’d known - that it would be absolutely fine, that the schools are lovely with the y7s, know what they’re doing, and are there to help. And that the kids adapt very quickly to travel, different subjects, new people. I am reminding myself of all these things as I think ahead to DS2 making the move!
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Our transition to SHS was a couple of years ago now (how time flies!!). School did quite a lot to help them settle in during the summer term & I know they have evolved it with COVID. Things like a visit from a teacher to DD primary school, a little bit of work to do to take with them on induction day, induction day with activities, a buddy , buddy chat to post questions to over the holidays etc.

In terms of stuff we did:
Mobile phone & made sure it had our numbers in. I also did an in case of emergency / battery dead in her rucksack.
Showed her where she would catch the bus from & get off at school & the return & where she needed to look out for to know her stop was coming up.
Get a bit more used to going somewhere on their own & being aware of their own surroundings- like to the post box / village shop / buying something
Encouraged her to get her own stuff ready when we were going out

Later on:
Pick a school bag - big enough to put all the stuff in! Able to withstand a lot. Made worse by no school lockers now.
All important pencil case / maths set / supply of stationery in the cupboard
LABEL everything to within an inch of its life....somehow DD managed to 'lose' her entire sports kit for about 3 weeks...I've now had her name embroidered large on the sports bag (as well as inside & on the kit)
I laminated a timetable for the kitchen where it was easy to see what was coming up & I could check initially that she had the right stuff with her...I also did a mini one for her blazer pocket
There's a lot to take in - so expect your DC to be tired. Getting lunch with a full school can be busy so having snacks / packed lunch can ease the pressure whilst they get used to everything.

Schools are expert at settling them in :)
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Thank you all, this has been really helpful. We've been working from home for so long I hadn't even thought about keys! Loads of really useful advice... now we just need the school confirmed!
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

For me it’s the independence skills they’ve missed out on in lockdown. Walking to the shop and buying something. Catching a bus. Walking to and from places by themselves.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now