Chelmsford to Colchester schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

noob2020!

Chelmsford to Colchester schools

Post by noob2020! »

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone from Chelmsford have any kids travelling to the Colchester schools?

My son is starting at CRGS in September and I wondered about travel arrangements or perhaps even getting to know any new starters from the local area.

Thanks,

George
on_the_edge

Re: Chelmsford to Colchester schools

Post by on_the_edge »

noob2020! wrote:Hi Everyone,

Does anyone from Chelmsford have any kids travelling to the Colchester schools?

My son is starting at CRGS in September and I wondered about travel arrangements or perhaps even getting to know any new starters from the local area.

Thanks,

George
You can find info on CSSE Transport page. I am aware of a whatsapp group group where ppl have been discussion this.
MrsBeardsley

Post by MrsBeardsley »

Could you please post a link to this page/site?

Thanks so much.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

MrsBeardsley wrote:Could you please post a link to this page/site?

Thanks so much.
Please see the forum rules, in particular 6b:
6(b). The promotion of - or requests to join - social media groups
scary mum
MrsBeardsley

Post by MrsBeardsley »

:lol:

Many apologies for breaching the forum rules.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you meant the CSSE transport page showing the various contract bus routes etc, it's on the main csse website.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tyang

Post by tyang »

I have been on the CSSE website. And the bus from Chelmsford - Colchester is 525. Few questions: - is this a school bus? Aka no other people can board besides students? - is there only 1 bus a day? Meaning if my DD misses it, she is stranded? Is the bus reliable? Thanks
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

On the general First Bus website, the 525 isn't designated a student-only service, whereas the 561, 625 and 725, for example, are. I'm not sure why any sane adult would want to get on a bus which to all intents and purposes is a 'school' service, though.

Your DD won't be stranded if she stays after school for something (but yes, the contract buses are 'one off' journeys each way), as there are trains between Colchester and Chelmsford (although she would need to get the bus to the station at the Colchester end) and the number 71 First bus goes along Lexden Rd and all the way to Chelmsford bus station. Could you or someone else pick her up from there, if there isn'tanother public service she could change to which stops near where you live?

Unfortunately, though, usually only having the one option each way is a downside of having to or choosing to rely on dedicated school transport. Public transport is much more flexible (and in my experience, perfectly safe - do you not travel by bus at all yourself? ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
jbmum

Post by jbmum »

Although now at uni my son took the 525 for 7 years to CRGS. If he stayed late for rugby or choir or to finish off a project he could catch the 71 using his bus ticket so there was no additional charge. The service only has named season ticket holders on it and people cannot just get on and off as it is not possible to buy daily tickets. The drivers receive additional training and also do not leave in the morning or at night until they have given all the named children a reasonable chance to turn up and be on board. You are asked to send First a message if you are late or your DC will not be travelling that day. If the bus leaves without your DC a text is sent to you so that you are aware that there is a problem. A brilliant, safe, friendly service.