Cost of grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Juliapal19

Cost of grammar school

Post by Juliapal19 »

My child has obtained a place at a grammar school. What costs should I be prepared for other than the several items of uniform and annual school trip (surely it's just one?!)?

It it true that there will be £1000+ school trips (Covid permitting)?

Can anyone give me a realistic overview?

Also, everyone tells me grammar school students are all from very privileged backgrounds, is that really the case or is there a good mix?

Many thanks :)
mad?

Re: Cost of grammar school

Post by mad? »

Don't listen to 'everyone', it sounds as though they might have eaten too many sour grapes.

Most schools run a 2nd hand uniform stall/event where you can save lots of money.

School trips are rarely compulsory (certainly not the ones costing £1000). Perhaps if you mentioned the specific school you are concerned about thereby some some posters with some DC there who can help.

Yes the children are privileged - in that they are bright and have parents with the focus and acumen to support them through the 11+ application process. You can have a lookout their pupil premium numbers and compare them with local schools to get an idea of the economic differences. However, I really would not sweat this, there will be a range of DC there.
mad?
Juliapal19

Post by Juliapal19 »

Thank you so much for your reply. The school is SGS. I am a single parent and really don't want for my son to feel different :(
mad?

Post by mad? »

I woulds imagine there will be plenty of single parent families there.
mad?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

My son is at SGS and there is a good mix of children there. I doubt my son could tell me what the background of most of the kids is.

They do have trips (although obviously disrupted in the last year) - a language trip to Spain or Germany in Y7 (this was relatively cheap, a coach trip), a skiing trip for older boys (expensive), a geography field trip to Iceland (also expensive), possibly others that don't know about - but none compulsory and few would do all.

I'm sure your son will thrive at SGS, it's a lovely school with a strong pastoral vibe, so try not to worry too much.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

All GS are very mixed and as with all groups of people there are those who make it look as though they have pots of money when it fact it is all on credit and they can't rustle up 50p for cake sale.

My experience of state school trips was they were done with economy in mind eg coach travel / hostels etc - thoroughly enjoyed etc - payment was done (golly am talking 12 years ago now) by series of postdated cheques starting months before hand to help people budget.

Private schools tend to ask for money for trips with less notice but the secondhand uniform stalls were very very active.

Don't worry about your son at school and please don't let it get into his head that your family are somehow different from others - there will be plenty similar (and different)
bridge

Post by bridge »

Speaking as a TGS parent.

From our experience I would not assume you will get every item of uniform from the second hand sales; in the end we had to buy quite a bit new. Also be prepared for various bits going missing particularly around the sports kit. Some bit we bought were never used so might be worth looking at the list and asking someone from SGS which bits are actually needed.

School trips have not been more than £300.

One other cost you might factor in now is a new laptop & headset. We bought through the school so was about £300.

Although a mixture of students, I would say more towards the privileged end. It has not affected our daughter at all.

In the end the costs have not been excessive at all.
Juliapal19

Post by Juliapal19 »

Thank you for all your replies, you are all super helpful :)
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

I'm a Nonsuch parent and also wanted to add that the more expensive school trips (ski trip to the US in this case) can be paid for by monthly installments over a longer period. Many of DD's friends are not going on the trip for various reasons, just wanted to reassure you that not all DC's will go on all the grammar school trips and not putting your DS's name down for trips you can't afford will not mean that he will stand out.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Golden75 wrote:I'm a Nonsuch parent and also wanted to add that the more expensive school trips (ski trip to the US in this case) can be paid for by monthly installments over a longer period. Many of DD's friends are not going on the trip for various reasons, just wanted to reassure you that not all DC's will go on all the grammar school trips and not putting your DS's name down for trips you can't afford will not mean that he will stand out.
I think this is very true in GS - they don't all go on all the trips.

DS's GS had a trip to Cuba (they didn't normally go further than Bavaria!) - not many wanted to go and many of those who did earned some of the money themselves with events / sales / part time jobs etc - they also had about a year's notice of the event so time to spread the cost (course it might be different in Yorkshire)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now