Catchment area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Saai9

Catchment area

Post by Saai9 »

Hi
We just live in Bromley. My daughter is taking 11 plus this sep. we just thought of moving to dartford da1 postcode which covers Bexley schools dartford schools and Newstead also but not sure if anyone this year got offered newsteadwood from dartford. Dartford comes under 9 miles but it’s far from where we are now. Now from our house to newsteadwood is 5.7 miles. So worried if moving there would slim chance of newsteadwood since my son is in olaves. Or will dartford da1 will cover all schools
PettswoodFiona

Re: Catchment area

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Bexley schools are available on distance once deemed selective (unless in top 180) so do check on last distances offered in the Bexley secondary schools booklet.

For Newstead as long as you meet the required score and are within 9 miles you are treated the same if you are 8.99 miles or 1 mile from the school.

Dartford is a pain to get to the Orpington schools so if your son is at Olaves do bear that in mind, I know there are coach services which are pricey and have minimal flexibility, but there are limited choices re buses and no direct train. Depending on where you are in Dartford the Blue 477 bus might just work but it will take an age and it isn't very frequent.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Just picking a random postcode in DA1, I note that the distance to Sidcup & Chislehurst Grammar for example is 5.3miles which would be out of typical recent distances in two of the last three years, and also for Bexley Grammar school which last year went out only 2.5 miles. You'd most likely be OK for Townley. https://www.bexley.gov.uk/sites/default ... y-2021.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also as you probably know admissions to Dartford Grammar is not just a pass in the Kent Test (unlike e.g. Weald), it goes on score and whilst the in Parish score will be lower than an Out of Parish/county score it is more than just a pass and has been going up steadily for a number of years.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

With a son at Olave's, would you not be better moving to Orpington? If your daughter is equally strong, she has a great chance at Newstead and they could both walk to school. If not, with a pass in the Kent or Bexley test, she has a good chance for Weald or Chis & Sid.
Saai9

Post by Saai9 »

Ya but moving to Orpington , will Orpington is catchmentvfor Bexley schools mainly townley? If I move to a catchment area which covers more schools I’ll b safe. Is Orpington a good option will it cover Bexley schools mainly townley?
Saai9

Post by Saai9 »

Also does anyone know which postcode or area in Orpington will cover catchment for townley?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Saai9 wrote:Also does anyone know which postcode or area in Orpington will cover catchment for townley?
As people have said there is no guarantee. Put a line on the map based on past years and draw an arc based on that distance and you should get an idea but that could all change. If you contact the admissions at Townley they are usually happy to help where possible. The previous head was very keen to get pupils from Orpington & Petts Wood and that was claimed to part of the reason for the new coach routes but may not quite be in the spirit of admissions rules as he can’t guarantee it and it could be seen to prejudice the choices other areas not served by transport to the school.