Bishop Vesey Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

za1

Bishop Vesey Grammar School

Post by za1 »

My question is related to the feasibility of attending Bishop Vesey Grammar School which is 13 miles away from our house in Moseley. Should my son be both good enough and lucky enough to pass the relevant grammar schools test, I am wondering how easy it would be to do the daily travelling.

I want to include all 5 grammar schools on the preference form. The other schools are all closer. The difficulty is in deciding which school to place higher on the list - Handsworth Grammar or Bishop Vesey. Handsworth is closer. However, Bishop Vesey is probably the better school based on exam results.

To help me, I would be grateful for some pointer from parents who have had similar questions :

1) Is there anyone who has a child at Bishop Vesey who live a similar distance away (12-15 mile range)?

2) Are there school buses for Bishop Vesey from Birmingham centre?

3) Is train travel easier?

4) If you had a choice between Handsworth grammar 5 miles away or Bishop Vesey 13 miles away - which would you choose?

Thank You for any feedback.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Za

I think I can answer some points. See below:-

1) Is there anyone who has a child at Bishop Vesey who live a similar distance away (12-15 mile range)?

I don't have a child at Bishop Vesey's but I am aware of some parents who have children who travel a similar distance to Bishops Vesey but also KES/KEHS in Edgbaston. Some travel to the latter from Droitwich.

2) Are there school buses for Bishop Vesey from Birmingham centre?

Not that I am aware - I think most people would choose the train. There are School buses (via the Green Bus Co) to Queen Mary's in Walsall but not Sutton.

3) Is train travel easier?

Definitely - lots of children use trains, but mainly the other way from Sutton to Edgbaston Schools. The key thing for you I guess is how easy is it to get a bus to a convenient station on the Redditch to Sutton Coldfield Cross city line.

4) If you had a choice between Handsworth grammar 5 miles away or Bishop Vesey 13 miles away - which would you choose?

I would definitely put Bishop Vesey Higher in the preference list than Handsworth Grammar - much better school. There are a few discipline problems at Handsworth Boys.

Make sure you put KE Aston on your list - there is a good Green Bus service from Moseley. Also don't feel that you must put Camp Hill Boys first because it's closer to Moseley - KE 5-ways is very easy to get to from Moseley via the green bus. At KE 5-Ways they have a big West Midlands map on the wall with pins on it showing where all of the current pupils live. You would be amazed the distances that some children have to travel.

Hope this helps
za1

Post by za1 »

Thank you KenR.

Very useful.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now