Help on question

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
reddebs

Help on question

Post by reddebs »

I have seen this type of question on many papers and have never known an easy way of working it. I am sure there are some clever people out there that can.

Juliet and her friends are delivering leaflets around the local housing estate where she won’t have to walk down the same street more than once (she can pass over the same corners more than once). On which of these street layouts is this possible?
You are then given a series of shapes to chose from (sorry I cannot copy these in)

Does anyone have any ideas?
reddebs
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Just try it out and see .... I don't remember seeing any difficult ones like this in the NFER practice paper packs. Or is your 11+ not set by NFER?
vetgal

Post by vetgal »

Oh I have that one the ansew Is a triangle with triangles in all directions inside it if that is there LOL. :D
Emma
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

This is about as far as we got on the subject before.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4950
ks

Post by ks »

I can't be sure of the answer without seeing the options.

However, I think the 'simple' answer is that any layout with less than 2 nodes (i.e. places where roads join or cross) with an odd number of roads is doable without repeating ... if it has three or more places where there are a odd number, it's not possible.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

ks wrote:I can't be sure of the answer without seeing the options.

However, I think the 'simple' answer is that any layout with less than 2 nodes (i.e. places where roads join or cross) with an odd number of roads is doable without repeating ... if it has three or more places where there are a odd number, it's not possible.
I think it is safe to assume that all 11+ questions will be doable, or have an answer. I think the original question was in the hope that someone could come up with a quick method to address all such questions.
ks

Post by ks »

i was obviously not clear enough.
The original question asked 'which layouts were possible'.

The layouts are possible (refered to as doable in my previous post) is there are 2 or less places where an odd number of roads link.

The doable did not refer to whether the question was doable or not : as you rightly say they all are.

If my answer is still not clear I can try & expand further. But try it, it works on any road layout.
Greenwich Mum

Post by Greenwich Mum »

This is how I always tought my children about this type of questions.
Try drawing each shape on a paper without interrupting the line. You are not allowed to go over the same line twice.
Hope my method is not very complicated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now