Car share to Handsworth Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
taz_choud

Car share to Handsworth Grammar

Post by taz_choud »

Hi I was wondering if there is anyone from Acocks Green, Hall Green or even Small Heath going to Handsworth Grammar for boys. I can’t do any drop offs or picks up but will pay for the service.
mad?

Re: Car share to Handsworth Grammar

Post by mad? »

We always post the following advice to those considering car shares

Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about this parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)
• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)
• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?
• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?
• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?
• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?
• What if the other child moves to a different school?
• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?
• What if the driver smokes when driving?
• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think you open a can of worms if you are paying someone for transport. Their insurance for a start.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Tinkers wrote:I think you open a can of worms if you are paying someone for transport. Their insurance for a start.
agree this is a huge problem, better to look at alternates I think
taz_choud

Post by taz_choud »

Thank you for your replies. I didn’t think of the insurance aspect.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

There seems to be a Green Bus route from Acocks Green - does that help?

https://www.thegreenbus.co.uk/bus-route/844/

What was your plan for getting your DS to school when you applied? (Presumably not looking on an internet forum for a random stranger to take him?).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
taz_choud

Post by taz_choud »

Tbh I was hoping he would go to
Camp hill as this was my closest. But he didn’t get a place. So now Handsworth have I’m in a dilemma. I was hoping someone from the area could help. Yes I was thinking green bus but that takes 2 hours on the way home. I start a new job in sept so trying to figure out logistics. If all fails it will have to be the green bus.
sabu

Post by sabu »

You can also take a look at the following if public transport is an option for you:

https://journeyplanner.tfwm.org.uk/Routes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It gives less than 1 hr from Acocks Green to Handsworth school, which is kind of standard travel time for quite a few children.

If not, as you are already aware ,Green Bus seems to be the other option.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

taz_choud wrote:Tbh I was hoping he would go to
Camp hill as this was my closest. But he didn’t get a place. So now Handsworth have I’m in a dilemma. I was hoping someone from the area could help. Yes I was thinking green bus but that takes 2 hours on the way home. I start a new job in sept so trying to figure out logistics. If all fails it will have to be the green bus.
Move house. It's not fair to expect a child to spend two hours getting home from school. (To be honest with you, you shouldn't have applied to it in the first place.)
taz_choud

Post by taz_choud »

Well yes I know that which is why I’m looking for an alternative!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now