11+ Results: What do you get?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stroud101

11+ Results: What do you get?

Post by Stroud101 »

Hello

First post and first-time parent to the 11+. Four weeks to go... eeek!

Please can someone explain what "result" you actually get following the 11+? Is is just the standardised score? I've seen other references that candidates needs to have attained the "qualifying standard" or "qualifying score". Is that something you are told when you get the result and is it the same for all schools, or does each school have its own?

In other words, if we get a standardised score, how do we know how good that actually is compared with all the other children who have taken the test, and how do we know if it's therefore worth putting certain schools down on the application form?

Thanks for any help!
SwimmingUpstream

Re: 11+ Results: What do you get?

Post by SwimmingUpstream »

On results day each school you have shared your results with will tell you one of 3 things:

You didn’t meet the qualifying standard;

You met the qualifying standard and are ranked within the top 150;

You met the qualifying standard and have a ranking of x (somewhere outside the top 150).

The first means you wouldn’t get a place without going to appeal. Some schools tell you what your rank was, so you can judge how far beyond the cut-off you were. The 2nd means that you are with PAN for the school so should get a place if you want it and apply for it as 1st choice/don’t get a higher choice. The 3rd means you “passed” and have to try and work out what your chances are.

There are plenty of old discussions on here which will give you an idea of what ranks tend to get an offer on National offers day and then again at reconsideration.
Remember that your rank for Crypt will probably look lower, because it’s mixed. Also remember that last year was strange because people had to apply for schools before finding out their 11+ results, and if you look back too far the PAN was lower so the successful ranks will have been too.
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Thanks for asking and answering this question! Also a newbie and been wondering the exact same thing. I get it now - ta.
Stroud101

Post by Stroud101 »

Thanks for the explanation!

Presumably the qualifying standard is set by each school then? If so, do they publish it (either at the time, or are there details of previous years)? Does it vary each year, and if so, does anyone know how the schools determine it?

I'd be interested in knowing in general, but more specifically for Marling and Crypt as these are the two schools we're interested in.

Many thanks!
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

The qualifying standard is set once the exam has been taken. Some schools provide it on results day, others don't although usually it becomes fairly clear how far they have down to when people share their results. Pates have gone down to rank 230 for the past few years, the others vary more.

This year in several of the schools, if you qualified then you basically got a place. Some cut it a bit too fine, but normally there are quite a few who qualify but don't get a place. If you look at results threads (in october, or december last year) and offer threads (start of March) you will be able to see what has happened on previous years. Crypt appears to be growing in popularity, I don't think we had a lot of Marling posters last year, but there might be enough info to go on.
Stroud101

Post by Stroud101 »

Thanks!

I've spent the evening reading many threads in this forum and noted the following:

For the 2021 intake, there were 2254 children that sat the exam. Based on the secondary allocation data released by GCC, there were 1989 1st preferences made, so presumably 265 didn't apply for a grammar school at all, possibly due to taking private school places or perhaps due to not having a good test experience. Of course, as SwimmingUpstream mentioned, last year was very different.

I've not found anything on how many children sat the exam in 2020 and 2019 but it would appear that 1217 put down a 1st preference in 2020 and 1289 put down a 1st preference in 2019. If the 2020/2019 numbers are roughly the same and ~2250 children sat the exam, then that means there was presumably a lot more that (for whatever reason) didn't apply.

Was there a significant increase in the number who took the exam for 2021 vs previous years? Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

Yes, you are missing the fact that people will only apply if they have a chance of getting a place. About half of those sitting the exam won't qualify for any of the grammars, so their first choice will be a non-grammar school. Last year was different as we didnt know the results when we completed the CAF, so there will have been many people who applied to grammars without knowing that they didn't have a qualifying score.

It is also worth noting that a grammar is not always first preference. Eg Many will rank Balcarras over the Gloucester / Stroud grammars if they live in Cheltenham.
mini.me

Post by mini.me »

Stroud101 wrote:
For the 2021 intake, there were 2254 children that sat the exam. Based on the secondary allocation data released by GCC, there were 1989 1st preferences made, so presumably 265 didn't apply for a grammar school at all, possibly due to taking private school places or perhaps due to not having a good test experience. Of course, as SwimmingUpstream mentioned, last year was very different.
I wonder whether they only include data for applicants within the Gloucester CC admissions area (i.e. those with a Gloucestershire postcode)? There are usually lots of out-of-county applications too. It seems odd to me that kids would sit the test on 17th October, then 265 (12% of all candidates) don't put a grammar school down as their first preference on the CAF that they submit 2 weeks later...??
starcrazy

Post by starcrazy »

Some may be sitting the Glos test as a practice, or a backup (maybe listed schools in another area first, or listed a GC as a preference other than first.)
Stroud101

Post by Stroud101 »

Glos18 wrote:Yes, you are missing the fact that people will only apply if they have a chance of getting a place. About half of those sitting the exam won't qualify for any of the grammars, so their first choice will be a non-grammar school. Last year was different as we didnt know the results when we completed the CAF, so there will have been many people who applied to grammars without knowing that they didn't have a qualifying score.

It is also worth noting that a grammar is not always first preference. Eg Many will rank Balcarras over the Gloucester / Stroud grammars if they live in Cheltenham.
If we take the 2019 and 2020 1st preferences and assume the number of children that sat the test is close to the 2021 figure, you're looking at approximately 45% of children not attaining a qualifying score.

Obviously there is no way of knowing whether a large percentage of that 45% were from candidates who just "had a go" without much tutoring, practice or revision, or if they were working on it intensely for months, but as a parent going through it for the first time, it's pretty unsettling ("Have we done enough???")!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now