Burnham Grammar School - Catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
arvind2709

Burnham Grammar School - Catchment

Post by arvind2709 »

Hi
We live in staines (TW18 postcode) . The school is in slough area and hence easily commutable from staines. My DD will be writing her transfer test in next two weeks. Just wanted to check if we are in catchment area and if not is there any chance she might be able to get a place in that school.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
AV
hermanmunster

Re: Burnham Grammar School - Catchment

Post by hermanmunster »

it all comes down to distance - the allocation profiles for the Bucks schools are here:

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/451654 ... -final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

To be honest you are wasting your time and Buckinghamshire Council's money, as well as giving yourselves unnecessary stress having your DD sit the test. It must be some years since anyone got into BGS from Staines. How many miles are you from the school (straight line distance)?
scary mum
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Didn't you check this before entering your child for the test?
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

nope, miles away, not a chance I’m afraid (unless you move to Bucks right now, as in literally in the next few weeks, ie before the results are out).
We live in SL3 and even our area is out of distance and out of cachement (we are 5 miles as the crow flies. In cschement is Bucks and a little bit of Slough (Cippenham only).
Last year anyone over 3 miles didn’t get allocated a place: you can find all the distances in a sticky at the top of the Bucks section.
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

arvind2709 wrote:Hi
We live in staines (TW18 postcode) . The school is in slough area and hence easily commutable from staines. My DD will be writing her transfer test in next two weeks. Just wanted to check if we are in catchment area and if not is there any chance she might be able to get a place in that school.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
AV
Let me know how it goes. Can you appeal?

I'm in a similar boat. Son did the test today and he is confident he done well.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Proud-Dad wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Regards
AV

It would appeal on the basis of oversubscription

last year there were 361 out of county year 7 appeals for Bucks Grammar Schools - of these 12 (or approx 3%) were successful

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... l-appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

hermanmunster wrote:
Proud-Dad wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Regards
AV

It would appeal on the basis of oversubscription

last year there were 361 out of county year 7 appeals for Bucks Grammar Schools - of these 12 (or approx 3%) were successful

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... l-appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not many were successful and they are trying to recommend people not to appeal lol
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Proud-Dad wrote:
Not many were successful and they are trying to recommend people not to appeal lol
seems sensible to advise people not to appeal / not to apply in the first place, there simply aren't enough GS places in Bucks for all those who pass the 11 plus

The success rate for OOC GS appelas of about 3% means that large number of people go through significant stress and uncertainty without the outcome they hoped for
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

hermanmunster wrote:
Proud-Dad wrote:
seems sensible to advise people not to appeal / not to apply in the first place, there simply aren't enough GS places in Bucks for all those who pass the 11 plus

The success rate for OOC GS appelas of about 3% means that large number of people go through significant stress and uncertainty without the outcome they hoped for
Not really. More appeals and government will take notice people want more grammar schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now