Green Bus to Handsworth Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Trident

Green Bus to Handsworth Boys

Post by Trident »

Hi everyone, I am thinking of sending my son on the green bus to Handsworth Boys, those of you who have children using the service, have you found any issues with it? Especially that it is shared with Aston Boys, have there ever been any rivalry issues between the two schools? Is it reliable?

Really nervous to take that step, let go and send him on it but also think it would be great for his independence and selfishly, some relief from the chaotic school run with all the roadworks at the moment.

We would be looking at route 842. Definitely not ready to send him on the normal buses yet (baby steps for me). Many thanks for any advice or reassurance. TIA :)
JustOutside

Re: Green Bus to Handsworth Boys

Post by JustOutside »

Hi Trident - I haven't really got any advice, but we're in a similar position, in that if DD goes to Handsworth Girls (in 2022) she would use a different Green Bus that also serves Handsworth Boys and Aston.

The only thing I have heard is very anecdotal, in that a friend put me in touch with a friend whose daughter goes to Handsworth Girls, and that friend said her daughter has other friends that use the Green Bus, and it works well with no reported issues. So I took that as reassurance, but the source of that information is very 'distant'!
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

My ds used it in year 7 (he's now in year 11) and it was fine. The only issues we had were:
1. HGS finishes earlier than the girls school, so ds used to have to wait at school for around 30-45 mins before walking down to the girls school (it didn't stop at HGS then - I'm not sure if that's changed?). He was happy playing table tennis though.
2. He felt a bit mobbed by the girls at times! A group of them were very keen on him and gave him more attention than he wanted!
There was no issue with Aston boys. There were 2 other HGS boys on the bus anyway, who he sat with.
After year 7 he switched to public transport, so he could travel with more of his friends and had the flexibility of leaving school whenever he liked.
Trident

Post by Trident »

Thank you for your comments and reassurance. I think the bus is supposed to be stopping at the boys school now. No idea where though. My son is keen to catch it, it is me that is nervous about it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now