Out of catchment schools in Kent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
newtogreenwich

Out of catchment schools in Kent

Post by newtogreenwich »

Hi all, hope everyone had a good test last week!

I have recently moved to the country and this forum has been extremely helpful with the grammar preparations so far. I had a question I could not find the answer for - is there a list of all grammar schools in Kent that would take kids from out of catchment? We are outside Kent in Greenwich, so looking at any school that would take us. Distance is not a problem as we are renting and could move anywhere, but I wanted to understand which schools are possible (based on a given score) that we can list in the application form.

I have seen Dartford and super-selectives like Judd, St Olaves (not Kent test I know) etc. mentioned, but I don't think my son will qualify for the top ones, so I am looking at those further away that will take out of catchment. Thanks!
PettswoodFiona

Re: Out of catchment schools in Kent

Post by PettswoodFiona »

In Kent there are a variety of schools that offer a limited number of OOC places but these are usually by a very high score so if you are not looking for the superselective variety you may not find an option that works with the distance you are away from any Kent pass school.

The new Weald annexe of TWGSB is a new phenomena. The girl's equivalent, Weald of Kent annexe near Sevenoaks came out all the way to Orpington and Petts Wood in recent years but I haven't heard that it made it to Greenwich and don't know what the boys one has been like in its first year for distance. Both of these annexes like their parent school just require a pass. Most of the 'pass' ones are on Parish or distance or a combination of both.

It is possible to take the test as an OOC student and then if your child passes move into the parish of the school you are most keen to attend in Kent by around first week of December, but that leaves you with two terms of primary school to grapple with so creates its own challenge.

There are other grammars in other areas that also have no catchment, but nearly all are superselective, see this thread https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =5&t=57820" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are looking to move why not move into the catchment of a good comprehensive and then no 11+ stress?
Chismummy

Post by Chismummy »

Is there any prediction of how far TWGSB might come out this year with the new annexe? Like as far as Chislehurst?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Chismummy wrote:Is there any prediction of how far TWGSB might come out this year with the new annexe? Like as far as Chislehurst?
I think it is too new to have any prediction. Some people are not aware of it yet so won’t have put it on their CAF, some might put it on just in case they are in with a chance. After 1 March will be first indication. If you have space on a CAF it is certainly worth a try from Chislehurst.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now