DAO music first round results

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Desperation

DAO music first round results

Post by Desperation »

Hello - does anybody know when the results from the music aptitude test at DAO are generally going to be released?
Together with the VR or earlier?
thanks x
ToadMum

Re: DAO music first round results

Post by ToadMum »

[i]Wednesday 15th September 2021 – Musical Aptitude Test – All candidates will be sent their test marks from the first round.  Candidates who achieved 47 or above will be invited to a second round individual test

Wednesday 22nd September 2021  We aim to email test results for Part I of the Entrance exam (Verbal Reasoning)[/i]

https://damealiceowens.herts.sch.uk/adm ... key-dates/
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

DAO always delivers before the published dates so I would start expecting the music result from tomorrow and from the 17th for the VR. DG
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

Great, thank you for this! Not long now!
Does anybody know how many students apply through the music round and how many are selected to the second round on average from previous years?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is normally in the 340's and less than 1/3 make it through to the audition.

But last year it dropped by 57 to 282. This will have the been the impact of students not being able to attend music lessons.

There is a very very strong correlation between music places and academic places. Dd1 got a music place and an academic place as did all of the 10 music place students in her year. Two years ago the same student ranked 1st in Music and 4th in academic.

Music is a higher criteria, so all of these students were allocated under music freeing up spaces in the academic allocations.

DG
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

Interesting, thanks. I wonder how this year will be. I know at least 2 kids in previous years (from our music school) that got in through the music but didn’t make the cut in the academic. I feel that’s more our possibility- My son had some issues on the day of the VR test (his ADHD flared up unexpectedly) but he says he was ok during the music test.
Thank you! Xx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is great to have another option and also that you will know in the next couple of days. Have you prepared a piece ready for the audition?

One of the music students that just finished this year, who was 2nd in Music but missed the cut for academic, met their Cambridge offer and will be starting this month.

Sometimes things just go wrong on the day with the academic test and there are four different formats to cope with, so more things to go wrong. DG
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

Wow great story to hear, thanks!
Yes we have audition level pieces prepared because he has an orchestra audition in October, so that’s coming handy!
I’m sure there will be amazing kids though , so trying not to get our hopes too high !

They are so young and everything can happen!
New11plusparent

Post by New11plusparent »

Results should be filtering through now. We have heard back and our child is through to the next round.

Just so we manage our expectations, from previous years, for those that were offered a music place, do you know what grade they were on their respective instruments?
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

Congratulations!

We are also off to the second round! :D

Received the email half hour ago and are very happy, albeit quite nervous.

I think there's around 100 - 120 students that go to second round for 10 places... so although the odds have certainly improved, there's a long way to go!

Does anybody know if Islington has a specific music places allocation or the 'special treatment' is only for the academic?

thank you!