What's the pass mark?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
whatajourney

What's the pass mark?

Post by whatajourney »

Hello,

Eleven Plus newbie on here and what a journey it's been. My daughter sat the exam last Saturday. I'd like to say I'm glad it's over but it's not is it? I know that her score isn't important and it's the ranking that matters, but does anyone know what kind of percentage you need to get into the top 150? Just so I can get an idea of whether she might pass or not... Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I should say that SHS is our first choice.
Legofan

Re: What's the pass mark?

Post by Legofan »

You only need to be in the top 400 or so for SHS.

As for % needed, nobody can say but DD1 got around 70% the 2 mocks she did and she was top 150 for the girls schools, DD2 got around 50% in her mocks and she only qualified for Ribston. (I say only, she did really well)
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

I'd just advise caution with mock scores... the papers can be quite varied and how late you take them can also make a difference. Also some kids have a good day and get good questions for them, others will find those same questions harder but question types that didn't show up on the day easier.
In other words, what's done is done and there's no real way to predict how it may have gone. DD messed up 2 whole sections of her weaker areas but still qualified easily; interestingly with a higher rank for Pates than Crypt, suggesting that she did rather better than expected in those 2 areas and not so well as we expected in her strong area! There's no real way to tell, as it's so dependent on the scores of others.
BusyandConfused!

Post by BusyandConfused! »

Also don't confuse getting into the Top 150 with Passing..... For all the schools you can be fairly certain of a place some way outside the top 150 (Even Pates traditionally goes to around 180/190 and last year went below 200). The schools will say if you have reached their pass standard and then where they rank. They will then give an indication of what ranking they went down to in previous years. So a pass with a ranking of 300 or so should be fine for SHS. And conversely they can technically Pass, but not get a place if a low ranking.

What I'm trying to say, is don't worry if they are not top 150 for preferred school. You will have to wait til March to know for sure, but you can still be fairly confident with lower rankings than 150.

But yes a long few weeks to wait!
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

The pass mark is definitely, obviously, certainly, without a shadow of a doubt going to be one mark more than my girl's score!
(Sorry - hadn't realised this waiting phase would make me even MORE mental...)
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Choppy wrote:The pass mark is definitely, obviously, certainly, without a shadow of a doubt going to be one mark more than my girl's score!
(Sorry - hadn't realised this waiting phase would make me even MORE mental...)
I know it's not much, but hopefully it's some consolation that I think every parent feels the same way! I hated the waiting - I'm sure the 7 weeks we were waiting (hopefully it's fewer this year) actually took several years! I fluctuated between "she's brilliant, she'll have qualified easily" and "she fluffed 2 sections, no way she can qualify".

Fingers crossed for you all, and remember if kids don't qualify, there's always the appeal route - I spent the waiting time collating previous reports etc!
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

@choppy, I'm with you. I've even sent an email to ask if they know a rough timeframe.

I also asked if we receive the results in the same way as before as the new system we registered with has a results icon that is currently greyed out.
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Oooh, good idea to email, Brackenboo. I feel the need to be proactive too. I think I can see where my daughter gets her impatience from. ME ME ME WANTS RESULTS, NOW!!!
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

I got an email back from Sue Wales, confirming we will get an email from each school. They are aiming for mid October but are at the mercy of CEM and will let parents know when they have a date
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Thanks so much for asking. That is great news. Time to pester CEM now!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now