DAO music first round results

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: DAO music first round results

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not to do with grades. It is all about the performance on the day. Glad that music is out as now they can focus on those VR results. There are many students preparing for the second round and some will not make it through so this data needs to be released as soon as possible. Same for HBS. In terms of music places the Islington allocation is a total allocation covering siblings, music, academic and looked after children. Islington rarely secure more than 1 of the music places. It has been just one for all but one of the past five years. DG
Desperation

Post by Desperation »

Yes that's true, all these kids preparing exams that they might not take :(

I'm pretty sure our DS hasn't made it through the VR

Do you know how long after the second round we will know the music ranking? From memory its quite quick!

thanks, really appreciate your time to inform us deranged 11+ parents :D
88keys

Post by 88keys »

Hi,
We found out yesterday that our child has got through to the second round of the DAO music test. I’m just wondering whether there is in interview element, or is it just playing their pieces?
Thanks!
anshuiitk

Post by anshuiitk »

Is Singing considered for the DAO music test ? or does it have to be an instrument ?
ExamTime

Post by ExamTime »

Looks like voice is included:

“ Children achieving 47 marks or above will be invited to attend Musical Aptitude Test 2 which is an individual test. Each child is allocated a 5 minute slot to perform on their preferred instrument/s (voice included). There is a totally free choice of piece(s) and children can perform on more than one instrument if they prefer. It is not possible for candidates to bring their own accompanist, however we can provide an accompanist if required. There is also provision to play a cd backing track.”
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You can do anything you like in your 5 mins. My dd1 did 3 things including Singing. DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

88keys wrote:Hi,
We found out yesterday that our child has got through to the second round of the DAO music test. I’m just wondering whether there is in interview element, or is it just playing their pieces?
Thanks!
Definitely no interview. They might chat to him/her a little to put them at their ease but it won't be an interview.
88keys

Post by 88keys »

Thanks @loobylou.
@daogroupie I’ve sent you a message, hope you don’t mind!
Good luck to all who have music auditions next week.
TheMadness

Post by TheMadness »

Daogroupie wrote:
One of the music students that just finished this year, who was 2nd in Music but missed the cut for academic, met their Cambridge offer and will be starting this month.

Sometimes things just go wrong on the day with the academic test and there are four different formats to cope with, so more things to go wrong. DG
I was heartened to read this. I was worried if one got in on just the music and not academic, that the child might struggle once in the school. Which brings me to DC, who although is reasonably bright and very musical (and committed), I feel won’t quite make the academic cut for the grammars, but may be ready once the independent exams start going. She is a quiet and thoughtful child, not very expressive in real life, but it all comes out in her music and writing. Her head is always in a book.

Does anyone know if a high ranking Mill Hill County Music place is a good indicator of the top 10 music places at DAO? Also, for a Latymer music place, what kind of score on the VR/Maths are needed to make the cut for the top 900?

VR is painfully slow at the moment (although maths is ok): it will be a huge shame if she does not get the chance to show off her writing, hence wondering about the music angle.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now