Familiarisation papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
newbie but stressed

Familiarisation papers

Post by newbie but stressed »

Do Wirral send Familiarisation papers out to all 11+ candidates ?

If so when would they do this ?

thanks
wirral_wombat

Post by wirral_wombat »

It's 4 years since my children took the 11+, but I assume the procedure is still similar. The Familiarisation Packs are given out at school and the teachers work through the pack with the children - this takes about 5 sessions spread over a couple of weeks. In each session they go through about 4 or 5 of the question types and the children try a few examples of each. At the end of the 5 sessions the children can take the pack home to look over again.

When my children took the tests 4 years ago the exams were not until January - the 2 practice tests followed by the 2 real tests were in the 4 weeks immediately after the Christmas hols, so the pack was issued in December and taken home over the Christmas hols (joy!). Now that the practice and real tests are earlier (late Nov/early Dec) I assume they would be issuing the packs in early November - i.e fairly soon after half-term. The best way to find out definitely is to ask the school what has happened in the last couple of years, as the dates should be similar.

I hope this helps you.
newbie but stressed

Many thanks for the reply.
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi

Just to add to Wombat`s comments as they relate to children in primary schools on the Wirral.

Out of area children receive packs directly from the LEA, these arrive sometime towards the end of October/beginning of November.

If you are an out of area parent and have not received a familiarization pack it would be advisable to contact the LEA.

Regards

Mike
newbie but stressed

thanks Mike,

We are on Wirral, so I'll check out with the school next week,

NBS
Newbie but stressed

Post by Newbie but stressed »

Hi Mike.

She received the pack today and with the others who are also taking eleven plus were asked to attempt the pack in 40 Minutes.

Any missed out could be taken home to finish.

I'm not really happy the way they have approached this today and she done not so good about 79% as I marked them tonight, particulary type Z's

I suspect this is because she was trying to complete the paper in 40 minutes and rushed it. So she is feeling a bit disappointed.

I am going to ask her in the next few days to try it again. When she rushes she misses questions out completely without noticing.

The types she seems to not do very well are TYPE I, K , P Z

She has a tutor and I was wondering at this stage is there anything I should be asking the tutor to cover, or just let her get on with giving her practice papers. (which I think she is now).

At home she does great. Put her in a classroom with other kids she seems to lose it all.

thanks again

NBS
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi Newbie

It is important to check with the tutor that your daughter is completing the type HIKNOS questions as these do not appear on all preparation papers and certainly do not appear on NFER papers.

You can see five of each of the HIKNOS questions on the free demo for CD1 as well as five Z type questions.

It is important to tell your daughter to leave the Z questions until the end of the test particularly as she is struggling with them.

Your post is typical of many schools who do not adhere strictly to the correct testing procedures.

It is important that within the next four weeks she should be completing 80 questions in five minutes format papers and supplementing these with a review of the type questions that she either gets wrong or takes more than 40 seconds to complete.

Remember that Wirral has 2 VR papers and the 21 question types do not all appear on both of them. So you should be looking for a publisher who writes pairs of papers covering the 21 types with an overlap. If you ask the right question someone will tell you where to find such papers.

If time is limited and you want to cover all 21 question types in a single go, there are papers availabe that contain 100 questions per paper.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi

Missed something out HIKNOS questions are question types 16-21 respectivey on the Demo.

Regards

Mike
Newbie but stressed

Post by Newbie but stressed »

Hi Mike

thanks for the reply

I have downloaded "The Tutors" papers recently from here. So I think I'm covered.

Also I have the IPS tests and methods and technique which has the 21 types.

Many thanks We have 4 Weeks and I'm hoping she should be ok.

I think we have done all we can and it's up to her now..

Thanks again

NBS
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now