Year 4 child - Where to start?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KeepSmiling

Year 4 child - Where to start?

Post by KeepSmiling »

Hi,

I am brand new to this forum and have been having a nosey round trying to find out what is involved in the Grammar School tests and when I should start to think about them.

We have 2 years till the actual tests, but I was thinking that I ought to find out what is involved.

Please can anyone who has experience advise me:

When would be a good time to start looking at papers?
Where is a good place to get papers and which ones are good to start with?
Is there anyone in Cheltenham who does extra coaching? I have heard of Kip McGrath. Is there any feedback on how they get on for Pates?
Generally any news or info that might be interesting at this point??

Thanks in advance!
Everywhere you go, you always take the weather with you!
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi Keep Smiling,and welcome to the forum!

There is a wealth of information here about the tests and preparation. My advice would be to encourage your DD or DS to read anything,as often as possible, to research verbal reasoning, get a good dictionary,and use it!

Orson is a really helpful poster who has plenty of info and guidance, I'm sure he/she will post a welcome soon .

I have two children attending Pates, so I may be able to help with that.
I also have info about a lovely tutor, in Cheltenham who is very knowledgable, kind and extremely reasonable!

We are a friendly bunch, and will help you as you prepare for the 11 plus journey. Please ask if you want any advice, we will try to answer any questions.

If you want the tutor details, you are welcome to PM me and I will give you some info.

best wishes (keep smiling!) Proud mum x2
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Hi, and welcome.

I'm a parent of a daughter due to take the exam this year, and also have been on an independent appeals panel for the last 4 years or so (I'll be moving to a different one this year).

My partner & I were discussing the exam last night, having noticed how our daughter was coping with the practice papers. DD has been playing in orchestras, doing solo dancing and the like for many years (thanks to the local music service), and seems to take the stress of performing in her stride; the way she copes with the practice papers seems similar, quite enjoying them, so we hope that the 'stress' of the exam room will be similar to that encounters in the concert hall.
Capers
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Another tip, not exam related.

Next year (year 5), try to visit as many schools as you can on their open days. Don't bother taking your child though - leave that to year 6.

We visited 5 schools last year, and have discounted 2 of them (one for not giving sufficient extra benefit for the distance traveled, and the other as just not suiting our daughter). I also went to one of the evening talks from a head.

In the next few weeks we'll take our daughter round the remaining 3: our catchment school, the school many of her friends will go to, and the local grammar.

But going a year in advance lets you get your mind round things.
Capers
wilmotclan

Post by wilmotclan »

Yes I agree, I did all relevant schools when my eldest was in Year 5 made her more keen to practice for the tests as she liked the grammar schools. now attends Pate's so worked for us
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Ditto above, should have done the Grammars last year (Y5) or you end up needing to prepare them for the test before you get to see the schools. Also with the burden of the exam coming up would rather not have the added hassle of dragging around on school visits. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Would recommend taking your child though as it probably does inspire them to work a little harder if they know what they are working towards. Son's friend is in this position and he is far keener than our son. Fortunately some of it is rubbing off!
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

Hi There,

The Bond papers are age specific (and start from age 5), so you can find the correct level for your child now and then work up to the standard needed for the 11+. I did this with my Daughter and started on the level 3 books at Easter of year 4.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Of course, the type of question paper may be changing for next year. I keep hearing rumours of it happening, with one person saying that it "will be a kind of test that can't be tutored for" - which would be a good thing. I'd like to see it as a test based on the current Y5/Y6 curriculum, as then tutoring would be limited to teaching what they should have learnt anyway (although a parent from one local school commented that it would knock out most of their children, as they follow quite a wacky curriculum).

Who knows what will happen. I'll certainly keep my ears to the ground.
Capers
dayn

question 4 wilmotclan

Post by dayn »

Hi,
I remember you had an unsuccessful appeal at Ribston Hall earlier this year.
I also had failed appeal.
My question is, out of the 35 appeals, was only one successful?
I am asking because my youngest is now in yr 6 and has come home from school with the secondary school 2009 booklet and it appears that only 1 girl got in on appeal.
I may have read it wrong, but if I am right it seems extremely mean as all the other grammars took roughly 6 kids on appeal, as did the comprehensives.
Makes you wonder why we bothered, as they obviously knew from the start that they were not going to let any more girls in.
Appreciate any info
Dayn.