NVR test

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ronnie

NVR test

Post by Ronnie »

on reading previous posts from the last 2 years it seems that there were only 4 sections on the NVR paper with 8 minutes given to each section. Does anyone know what question type did not appear on the paper as we have been practicing all 5 different types at the moment.
fm

Post by fm »

I think that would depend on what area you live.

In my area the Sutton Coldfield exam is written by NFER and has 2 non-verbal sections each year, 20 questions each to be done in 12 minutes (which is slightly more generous than 24 questions in 12 minutes in the NFER practice papers). The five different types are rotated so each year it is slightly different.

Last year we had codes (despite me saying to the kids they never come up) and matrices. One of my pupil's older sister remarked that it had been the same combination when she'd done the exam 4 years earlier. I do not expect the same combination this year but I shall still practise all of them with my pupils.
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

We are in Lincolnshire and our tests are also set by NFER - we have 1 VR and 1 NVR consisting of 4 or 5 sections to be done in either 6 or 8 minutes each with either 12 or 16 questions in each. It doesn't appear that at any time since Lins introduced the NVR they have actually had 5 sections. Don't know whether anyone knows any differently or if there appears to be a pattern in which sections are left out each year.
fm

Post by fm »

I wouldn't try and second guess it. My advice would be to do all types--codes, matrices, series, analogies, most alike, most unalike--because there is no way of knowing which would be omitted on any one year. From tutoring I'd say the order of difficulty for children would be codes easiest, followed by anaolgies, series, matrices, most unalike and most like.
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Thanks for that she seems to be getter better but to be honest there is not a lot more that I feel I can do at this stage. She knows what to look for and the techniques involved it is just down to the day and how she feels and performs really. We had a little bit of a downer today as I was told her mark for a practice paper she had down in school and it was a lot lower that expected and was quite a way off the pass mark required. The teacher is using the rest of this week and next to go over questions but feel a little bit deflated now! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. i know its not the end of the world if she doesn't pass but I feel that most of her friends will and I don't want her to be that person who doesn't. She is a bright girl in top sets at school so I know wherever she goes she will do well.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now