Birmingham Grammar School non qualifying score BV

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fireman

Birmingham Grammar School non qualifying score BV

Post by fireman »

Hi. I am kind of new to the 11 plus (never appealed anything before) and would really appreciate as much help as possible. I have been through the appeals section and looked at the appeals forum too and hope I'm not repeating something that may have been answered previously. My son scored 204 for the Birmingham Grammar test which means that he does not qualify to be considered. I did apply as pupil premium as well. I was shocked at the result as my understanding is that he is a very bright boy and has always exceeded in his studies especially maths. He sat a couple of mock exams prior to the actual exam and scored 75% and above which translated "secure to gain a place". I believe that he may be dyslexic and gets very anxious although this has not been officially diagnosed. I am trying at the moment to get a diagnosis. I myself was only diagnosed with dyslexia a few years ago. My son had severe speech impairment and speech delay as a child and needed speech and language therapy. I also have a son who attends Bishop Vesey and I think my younger son would benefit from being at the same school as his brother.

I would like to know if I would have sufficient grounds for appeal. I understand that the success rates are extremely low but I would like to try if I do have sufficient grounds. When would I lodge the appeal? Also would I put down BV as my first choice on the school application form even though my son did not attain the qualifying score? Thank you in advance sorry if I babbled on too much.
hermanmunster

Re: Birmingham Grammar School non qualifying score BV

Post by hermanmunster »

Welcome to the forum - you can only appeal for a place when you have been turned down by the school, so this means you have to put BV on the CAF and then when you are not given a place in March 2022 you will be able to appeal. There is quite a bit about appeals here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have a read and see if this answers some of the questions.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If you want to appeal you can only do so after being turned down by a school after March 1st. So if you wish to appeal you do need to put the school on your CAF. Put the schools in the genuine order that you prefer them in - presumably this is your first choice so you should put it first (if you put another school higher and your som qualifies he would not be considered for a place at BV anyway).

Cross posts with hermanmunster
scary mum
fireman

Post by fireman »

Thank you for the prompt reply.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
I would like to know if I would have sufficient grounds for appeal
You are free to appeal on any grounds you want. Some parents appeal because they want to find out what an appeal panel thinks of their case.
Or it may be because they want to be satisfied they have done everything possible to try and get a place.

To stand (any) chance, I think the academic evidence would need to be really strong. Not just "exceeding" but "greater depth" in reading, writing and maths.

Appeal panels are unlikely to accept the reliability of mock tests.

For more on academic evidence see:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
believe that he may be dyslexic and gets very anxious although this has not been officially diagnosed
It might help if there were proof of previously undiagnosed moderate to severe dyslexia.
And would the primary school confirm acute anxiety?
Etienne
fireman

Post by fireman »

Thank you Etienne. I am in the process of getting a dyslexic diagnosis and speaking to the school about his anxiety which they are aware of. I know the appeal isn't until March 2022 but just want to be as well prepared as can be. I'm not sure about my son's writing being greater depth, maths and reading yes but writing would be exceeding. I will try and get as much academic evidence as possible and will no doubt be asking for help! Thank you again.
Pitterpatter

Post by Pitterpatter »

How did the appeal go for you ? X
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The poster last logged in in October 2021 so may not answer (unless they gave their account set up to notify them by email).
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now