Great Barr applicants

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DalH3

Great Barr applicants

Post by DalH3 »

Hi - it my first time posting in this forum and looking for some advice please.

My son achieved above the qualifying score. He scored of 214 (non pp) and we live in Great Barr (Ward: Great Barr/ Yew Tree). We have a Birmingham postcode but come under Sandwell Council.

I wanted advice if we can still apply for BV, Aston and Handsworth for the Birmingham Schools?
He sat the Walsall test too so hoping we have the option for him there aswell - QMGS?
hermanmunster

Re: Great Barr applicants

Post by hermanmunster »

Welcome to the forum!

Yes he can apply to BV, Aston and Handsworth from wherever you live - put the schools in the genuine order you want them.

BV - apparently went down to 214 just a few days ago so there would be really be little indication that that score would get a place this coming year but you can still put it on the CAF

Aston & Handsworth - He would have got a place at both those as an out of area pupil on March 1st
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

DalH3 wrote:we live in Great Barr (Ward: Great Barr/ Yew Tree). We have a Birmingham postcode but come under Sandwell Council.
Snap - we're probably neighbours!
DalH3 wrote:I wanted advice if we can still apply for BV, Aston and Handsworth for the Birmingham Schools?
He sat the Walsall test too so hoping we have the option for him there aswell - QMGS?
As Hermanmunster says, absolutely, and our DD is choosing between the girls' equivalent of all those schools (SCGSG, Handsworth Girls, QMHS).

As Sandwell allows up to six choices on the form (I believe), there would be no harm in naming all four of those schools in your genuine order of preference (assuming your DS achieves the qualifying score in the Walsall test as well). That is, of course, if you're happy with the travel options from your exact location.

Just make sure you include a 'banker' school as well: fortunately, our two local comprehensive school options are pretty good. Best of luck!
DalH3

Post by DalH3 »

hermanmunster wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Yes he can apply to BV, Aston and Handsworth from wherever you live - put the schools in the genuine order you want them.

BV - apparently went down to 214 just a few days ago so there would be really be little indication that that score would get a place this coming year but you can still put it on the CAF

Aston & Handsworth - He would have got a place at both those as an out of area pupil on March 1st
Thank you Hermanmunster - Thats so helpful to know. Fingers crossed!
DalH3

Post by DalH3 »

JustOutside wrote:
DalH3 wrote:we live in Great Barr (Ward: Great Barr/ Yew Tree). We have a Birmingham postcode but come under Sandwell Council.
Snap - we're probably neighbours!
DalH3 wrote:I wanted advice if we can still apply for BV, Aston and Handsworth for the Birmingham Schools?
As Hermanmunster says, absolutely, and our DD is choosing between the girls' equivalent of all those schools (SCGSG, Handsworth Girls, QMHS).

As Sandwell allows up to six choices on the form (I believe), there would be no harm in naming all four of those schools in your genuine order of preference (assuming your DS achieves the qualifying score in the Walsall test as well). That is, of course, if you're happy with the travel options from your exact location.

Just make sure you include a 'banker' school as well: fortunately, our two local comprehensive school options are pretty good. Best of luck!
Yes we are in the catchment for Barr Beacon so we will stick that on the list...thank you all and best of luck to your daughter too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now