Moving to Gloucestershire - any pointers, pls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Charlie

Moving to Gloucestershire - any pointers, pls?

Post by Charlie »

DS got Top 150 at Marling and STR, and within 210 at Crypt.

We live in Herts-Essex border and likely to move to Gloucestershire during summer. Still renting; so, hardly any bother about moving house.

Need to rank Glos schools based on a few parameters:

- remote working is necessary (work in IT), so reliable internet is very imp.
- need to commute to London, Bristol, etc. moderately
- not fan of city centre living though, prefer semi-rural/urban, green space
- know nothing about Gloucestershire or surrounding areas

- most importantly a good learning, growing and welcoming environment for DS from ethnic minority background

Any suggestions on "potential areas" or even "schools listed above" that I could consider will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Essex Dad
Polgara_Glos

Re: Moving to Gloucestershire - any pointers, pls?

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Sorry, I'm confused, have you been to any of the schools? All are based on towns/cities and access to M5 isn't a problem.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Polgara_Glos wrote:Sorry, I'm confused, have you been to any of the schools? All are based on towns/cities and access to M5 isn't a problem.

Unfortunately, have not visited any of those schools yet. STR have given an option to visit next week but I am going to struggle again :-(

Also, DS has already taken a few days off in the process of taking 11+ exams. School will rightly have reservations to take another days off.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Honestly, if you're serious about moving 4 hours away, for a school I'd make sure he likes the school first!

They are all excellent schools but very different.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Polgara_Glos wrote:Honestly, if you're serious about moving 4 hours away, for a school I'd make sure he likes the school first!
There has always been a secret dream (or aspiration) to get into a grammar school; there is a possibility now and I'm committed to play my part.
Polgara_Glos wrote:They are all excellent schools but very different.
DS has done his bit and my bit is to know how each school is and I'm clearly not on top of that yet.

Curious to know what you mean by "very different".
LibbyRose

Post by LibbyRose »

Hi,

Well done to your DS. I can only really tell you a bit about strs.

From what I have seen there are quite a lot of boys from ethnic minority backgrounds who seem happy.

A good base for strs is Longlevens, within walking distance. Easy route by car or bus to town and motorway, and train station.
Hucclecote is pretty handy too. You can get the number 10 bus, then a 15 minute walk. Or there might be a private bus to Tommies too, I'm not sure. Also quite easy to get to the school on bike, about 20 minutes. Not too bad for access to motorway etc either. Again not in the city centre.

I don't have much knowledge of the other two schools or areas. All the best.
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Hi, I've heard that the Churchdown area is a great base because it's an easy bus ride to all of the grammars etc. Hope that helps a bit and good luck with it all! My friend also recommends Longford, Longlevens, Up Hatherley and Brockworth, for similar reasons. Good places if you're hedging your bets. Good luck!
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Charlie wrote: Curious to know what you mean by "very different".
I'm not Polgara and can't speak for the boys schools, but each of the schools have their own strengths and weaknesses and styles/approaches to teaching as well as their own atmosphere. (As do all schools.) They're all good schools, but I don't think anyone else can say which is a good match for your child. My favourite differed to that of my DD, but I think she was right for her. Her best friend didn't like DD's school and is really happy at a different grammar (which my DD wasn't keen on). Our primary is close to the Gloucester grammars!

If you can't visit the schools in person then have a look at the websites and look through posts on here. With the lack of open days last year the schools put some effort into virtual tours etc. Not as useful as the real thing, but better than nothing. Just be aware that they're just schools, and just because they are selective, it doesn't make them any better than other state schools.

I would suggest once you have decided on a school to come and spend a week here over one of the holidays to see what areas fit your family... I'd just make sure that the travel is short and straightforward! Oh, and think about school places for other children if that's relevant!

Personally if I'd known that Gloucestershire was a grammar area I'd have seriously thought about moving elsewhere, but that's the benefit of hindsight!
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

2Socks wrote:
Charlie wrote: Curious to know what you mean by "very different".
I'm not Polgara and can't speak for the boys schools, but each of the schools have their own strengths and weaknesses and styles/approaches to teaching as well as their own atmosphere. (As do all schools.) They're all good schools, but I don't think anyone else can say which is a good match for your child. My favourite differed to that of my DD, but I think she was right for her. Her best friend didn't like DD's school and is really happy at a different grammar (which my DD wasn't keen on). Our primary is close to the Gloucester grammars!

If you can't visit the schools in person then have a look at the websites and look through posts on here. With the lack of open days last year the schools put some effort into virtual tours etc. Not as useful as the real thing, but better than nothing. Just be aware that they're just schools, and just because they are selective, it doesn't make them any better than other state schools.

I would suggest once you have decided on a school to come and spend a week here over one of the holidays to see what areas fit your family... I'd just make sure that the travel is short and straightforward! Oh, and think about school places for other children if that's relevant!

Personally if I'd known that Gloucestershire was a grammar area I'd have seriously thought about moving elsewhere, but that's the benefit of hindsight!
This is pretty much what I was going to say anyway :lol:
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Many thanks Polgara_Glos, 2Socks, Choppy and LibbyRose for sharing your thoughts.

In terms of sports, DS is keen more on football than any other sports. STR seems to be well known for Rugby (my observation could be wrong). I, probably, need to do further re-search on other schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now