Bucks selection review. What do I put as a parent?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ahcal

Bucks selection review. What do I put as a parent?

Post by Ahcal »

Hello. My son got 120 in his 11+ (Bucks, so 1 off a qualifying score). He went in totally blind other than the practice test 2 days before in school so we are obviously very happy he did so well. Having spoken with his head teacher, he was one of a handful they recommended with a 1:1. They will be predicting 111+ across the board on his SATs & are very supportive of us going for a review, so I think it's worth a shot and I am not concerned at all about that side of the application. What I don't understand (and I've tried to follow threads & FAQ, but am still lost) is what I need to write as a parent on the form. We have no extenuating circumstances, we're just going on what the school have said about him and his academic record and predicted KS2 success. The Head suggested I mention that he had not been prepared for the test (especially as it was the first time he'd even done a NVR type test which was the score that brought him down a bit), but I would have thought anyone could say that and that is the expected starting point so not really relevant. Can anyone advise what sort of thing I'm supposed to write?

Thank you for any advice. We always said we wouldn't go for review, but he really liked the school and he was so close!

I'm sorry if this has been asked & answered previously too, please feel free to point me in the direction of relevant older posts!
Etienne

Re: Bucks selection review. What do I put as a parent?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
What I don't understand (and I've tried to follow threads & FAQ, but am still lost) is what I need to write as a parent on the form.
Have a look at Mary's letter in E32 (c).
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Head suggested I mention that he had not been prepared for the test (especially as it was the first time he'd even done a NVR type test which was the score that brought him down a bit), but I would have thought anyone could say that
You are absolutely right - but give it a brief mention anyway, because I doubt whether extenuating circumstances will matter too much with a score of 120.

What matters is the academic evidence.
Etienne
Ahcal

Post by Ahcal »

Thank you, I'll take a look at the link. Very much appreciated.
Ahcal

Post by Ahcal »

Sorry another question (maybe more than one).

The HT summary is great, a 1:1 recommendation as he'd said and he has predicted 111+ in his SATs. I think I have to be realistic and think my son's writing might work against him as that is only predicted at EXS at the moment, I would have expected he would have been stronger in that had they been in school fully over the last couple of years and he hadn't had me as a teacher for so long, but it is what it is.

Anyway, other than to reiterate in my own words his high scores in the tests quoted by the HT, their strong support for him being a suitable candidate for grammar and a subtle comment about him not having prepared/ been coached for the test, is there anything else I really need to write? I've got a fairly short paragraph, less than 10 sentences. As I'm not adding extenuating circumstances, I'm just filling a bit of space really aren't I? What they're really interested in is what the school says?

Also, is there anything else I should attach other than the HT summary? It says you can add up to 3 documents, and merge documents if necessary. What do people add? They don't want reports or anything do they as all the relevant information should be in the HT summary?

Thank you so much for any words of wisdom.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Ahcal wrote:I'm just filling a bit of space really aren't I? What they're really interested in is what the school says?
Agreed.
I'm afraid some parents mistakenly think that the more they write, the stronger their case will be. :?
Also, is there anything else I should attach other than the HT summary? It says you can add up to 3 documents, and merge documents if necessary. What do people add? They don't want reports or anything do they as all the relevant information should be in the HT summary?
I don't really see any point unless the extra document adds something of value that is not in the headteacher's review form. For example, if the Y5 report mentioned that Writing was rapidly improving (and if this hasn't been mentioned in the head's review form), it would be worth including the report to try and mitigate the impact of EXS for Writing.
Etienne
Ahcal

Post by Ahcal »

Thank you Etienne. I don't think there's anything additional in the reports that I have. Glowing as they are, they're more fluffy than factual so I think I'll leave it. It wouldn't be terrible if he doesn't get through on review. We just think as he was so close without being coached and the school obviously think he would do well there, it would be silly not to try it.

Really appreciate you taking the time to read and advise.
Ahcal

Post by Ahcal »

So important to re read everything! There's a huge shouty bold thing on the selection review submission page if you say you're not adding evidence so I had another look at his Y5 report which specifically mentions in the closing comments that to support him moving to being a GD writer he just needs to read some more non fiction. It also mentions that his only areas for improvement are Art and MFL. Probably worth adding after all. I've also added a bit to my statement about him learning via powerpoint for long periods as I do think if he'd been in a classroom for the whole year he would have likely come on a little more. Of course it is the same for everyone, but again, I'm thinking it can't hurt.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

..... to support him moving to being a GD writer he just needs to read some more non fiction
Add the report, and draw attention to the comment in your parental statement! :)

Would his teacher agree to set him a programme of non-fiction reading for the next term or two?
If he/she gives him a copy, might you submit the copy with your review?
(Irrespective of the review, it could be a good idea anyway, and the teacher might be pleased about the interest in non-fiction!)
Etienne
Ahcal

Post by Ahcal »

Excellent. I've added it and highlighted the reason I've added it.

Would his teacher agree to set him a programme of non-fiction reading for the next term or two?
If he/she gives him a copy, might you submit the copy with your review?
(Irrespective of the review, it could be a good idea anyway, and the teacher might be pleased about the interest in non-fiction!)
Quite possibly, his teacher this year apparently approached the HT before I met with him offering to write my son a letter of support if it would help, so I think they'd be happy to recommend a reading list.

Thanks again.
Ahcal

Post by Ahcal »

I just wanted to thank you for the advice. I've just found out we were successful.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now