Sutton girls stage 2-English&maths scores vs standardardised

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Swlondonmum

Sutton girls stage 2-English&maths scores vs standardardised

Post by Swlondonmum »

Can anyone explain how the raw scores in stage 2 girls add up to the standardised final score?
Happy_!

Re: Sutton girls stage 2-English&maths scores vs standardard

Post by Happy_! »

There will be some statistical algorithm used that takes into account age and other factors (such as child from a low income family, when relevant) but the short answer is no because the schools don't tell you how they do this.
Upset Dad

Post by Upset Dad »

Swlondonmum wrote:Can anyone explain how the raw scores in stage 2 girls add up to the standardised final score?
Whilst there are a few variations, typically an age standardised score takes the following approach: Candidates are sorted by month of birth. An average score in each subject is taken across each birth month (or for every neighbouring couple of months - this depends on whether there are enough candidates in the pool). Candidates scoring the average are awarded a standardised score of 100. The scores for other candidates in that birth month are proportionally deduced based on that raw score / standardised score ratio. Historically, younger candidates will have a lower average. Therefore they aren't disadvantaged by awarding them 100 for an average score in their category.

There are a few videos that explain age standardisation. I have previously explored this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CagAWC0k-_I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the girls, the SET score (maths and english collectively) is age standardised. Then half of that score is added to the age standardised score in English second stage and the age standardised score in Maths second stage.

Hope this helps :!:
Upset Dad

Post by Upset Dad »

Happy_! wrote:There will be some statistical algorithm used that takes into account age and other factors (such as child from a low income family, when relevant) but the short answer is no because the schools don't tell you how they do this.
To my knowledge, there is no specific bumping up for scores for other factors. Instead, the admissions criteria provides for some seats specifically for DCs qualifying for Pupil Premium. As long as they get more than '10% less than the SET cut off' and more than 10% less than each of the NWSSEE English and Maths scores, they will be eligible to be considered for a place in that category. There are other provision for Looked After Children. This is described in the Admissions Policy.
Swlondonmum

Post by Swlondonmum »

Thank you all, especially Upset_dad, your explanation and the link were really useful!
So what is the lowest standardised score one can get on this basis then?

My daughter didn’t meet expected standard for English on the 2nd stage so I understand the 2 scores she got are standardised. Her English score (the one she failed) appears incredibly low and I’m very confused given she an adequate writer and was happy with the 2+ pages she wrote at the exam?! Having a disparity of 60+ points between her English and her maths final scores just doesn’t seem right. Any thoughts or ideas?
Upset Dad

Post by Upset Dad »

Swlondonmum wrote:My daughter didn’t meet expected standard for English on the 2nd stage so I understand the 2 scores she got are standardised. Her English score (the one she failed) appears incredibly low and I’m very confused given she an adequate writer and was happy with the 2+ pages she wrote at the exam?
Sorry to hear this.. Was one of my biggest worries about the creative writing part of the test.. From my understanding, a very low score can usually be because the child may have interpreted the question differently. Whilst rare, this is one of the big reasons why children don't pass the second stage. If you look at the raw scores from a previous Second Stage, you will see some incredibly low English scores. You will spot a few single digit scores in the first column.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1702360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In terms of next steps, I would suggest a couple of things

1. If allowed for by the schools, apply for remarking. This was certainly allowed in the previous years with a very short timescale to apply for it and to pay the fee in cash. Given the subjective nature of Stage 2, it will be looked at by another examiner. This is hearsay from another FB forum, but in the last year or one before, 45 people applied for revaluation in in English of which 27 had their marks changed, of which 6 were deemed pass.

2. Name your preferred selective schools in the CAF despite the notification. Appeal after the National Offer Day (1st March). The appeal pages on here seem incredibly helpful. From what little I read about success stories, I suspect you may have a fighting chance.

Good luck!
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

Upset Dad wrote:1. If allowed for by the schools, apply for remarking....
45 people applied for revaluation in in English of which 27 had their marks changed, of which 6 were deemed pass....
I suspect you may have a fighting chance.
Good luck!
True, but it might lead to being at the bottom of the pile since remarking would not necessarily add significantly more.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
Swlondonmum

Post by Swlondonmum »

Upset dad,
You’re such a fountain of knowledge! Thank you for your tips!
Do you know if eventually all the 3 standardised scores (from stage 1, stage2 English and stage 2 maths) are summed up to get the final standardised score?
Swlondonmum

Post by Swlondonmum »

2020D2022S,
Fair point - I wouldn’t bother if the score is true for what it is (because it
Might only go marginally upwards upon recheck). I just want to be 100% sure there’s no administrative/human error here. My DD is simply equally able (or not :) ) in maths and English and seeing such a huge gap between the final scores is very confusing.
Upset Dad

Post by Upset Dad »

2020D2022S wrote: True, but it might lead to being at the bottom of the pile since remarking would not necessarily add significantly more.
Not necessarily, because she may have had good scores in SET and second stage Maths to compensate - that may mean there are others who passed but could still be below her marks on an aggregate basis.

Also, important to bear in mind that everyone in IC who applied to Wallington Girls last year got a seat (their IC cutoff was 242 and so was the aggregate cutoff for last year). So, its probably not as bad for girls than for boys of Sutton.
2020D2022S wrote:Do you know if eventually all the 3 standardised scores (from stage 1, stage2 English and stage 2 maths) are summed up to get the final standardised score?

Half of SET + Second Stage English + Second Stage Maths.

SET is calculated as First Stage English + First stage maths
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now