Southend High for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jomo26

Southend High for Girls

Post by Jomo26 »

Could you share your information about Southend High for Girls ? Maybe parent whose child goes there already. I am not sure if my daughter can get Westcliff High which would be my preference but trying to figure out other options. We are OOC. Thank you.
jxp

Re: Southend High for Girls

Post by jxp »

Can someone also share how many OOC seats available in SHSG?

The admission document is confusing and does not state the number. I tried calling the school few times but nobody picking up the phone.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

jxp wrote:Can someone also share how many OOC seats available in SHSG?

The admission document is confusing and does not state the number. I tried calling the school few times but nobody picking up the phone.
Doesn't it give the percentage/ proportion available to IC applicants? You can work out the number from that and the PAN (180, unless it has changed this year).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
jxp

Post by jxp »

Finally managed to speak with them. Yes, it is 20% of 180 so roughly 30-36 only depending on number of candidates on other categories.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

For reference:

https://www.shsg.org/wp-content/uploads ... 2-2023.pdf

Did anyone ask on Monday, morning, how many girls in the priority are scored 303 or above?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mna2

Post by mna2 »

ToadMum wrote:For reference:

https://www.shsg.org/wp-content/uploads ... 2-2023.pdf

Did anyone ask on Monday, morning, how many girls in the priority are scored 303 or above?

Deputy head said they didn't have that information.
Golden_Jubilee

Post by Golden_Jubilee »

First of all, congratulations for all your daughter's efforts and your support to her throughout 11+ preparation. It is very unfair for a 10 year old to go through this pressure and for parents likewise.

My daughter is in Southend Year 10. After visiting both schools, she liked Southend. All of us liked the relaxing school environment at Southend high.
She is very pleased about her decision and would like to do her A levels from there only. The best things for her is, Southend offers Statistics as an extra GCSE on top of all other subjects. She did her GCSE at year 9 itself and very pleased with the outcome. Teachers are very supportive.

Westcliff may have other options available that are more appealing to you.

It is a personal choice really. Both schools are good. It is children who make the difference. My daughter sometimes attends some inter school competitions and mentioned that "Westcliff children are always in pressure to do more and more where as we (in her words) just take it easy". It does not mean they do any less. Both school children gets happiness in what they do I think.

Both schools offered parents (and children I think) to visit over last few days. I hope you have visited both of them to make an informed decision.

Best of luck.