Dartford Grammar School for Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

linny75

Dartford Grammar School for Boys

Post by linny75 »

Hi all
I'm just reaching to anyone who currently has a son at Dartford Grammar, for personal views and opinions. We went to visit it yesterday after school. On paper, it seems like an impressive school. DS doesn't like what he saw. He is very much put of by the compulsory Rugby (he's a football boy). He also doesn't like the outdoor space/playground that we saw (which I think is the one the earlier years use), and says he'll be so bored at lunch times, not being able to play football or do much. I guess he just used to 'playing outside' at primary school. Unfortunately, our visit was a bit rushed towards the end, due to my husband needing to leave to go to work. Although we were there for 1.5 hrs, DS spent too much time doing the experiments in the science labs, and some things we didn't get to see, and questions unanswered. Our tour guide was a year 7 student, who said he is happy at the school so far, but having just started at the school, we feel we couldn't get a whole picture of what life as a DGS student is like.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated! Pastoral care, extra curricular, is it a high pressured school etc..thanks so much.
aav_greenwich

Re: Dartford Grammar School for Boys

Post by aav_greenwich »

linny75 wrote:Hi all
I'm just reaching to anyone who currently has a son at Dartford Grammar, for personal views and opinions. We went to visit it yesterday after school. On paper, it seems like an impressive school. DS doesn't like what he saw. He is very much put of by the compulsory Rugby (he's a football boy). He also doesn't like the outdoor space/playground that we saw (which I think is the one the earlier years use), and says he'll be so bored at lunch times, not being able to play football or do much. I guess he just used to 'playing outside' at primary school. Unfortunately, our visit was a bit rushed towards the end, due to my husband needing to leave to go to work. Although we were there for 1.5 hrs, DS spent too much time doing the experiments in the science labs, and some things we didn't get to see, and questions unanswered. Our tour guide was a year 7 student, who said he is happy at the school so far, but having just started at the school, we feel we couldn't get a whole picture of what life as a DGS student is like.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated! Pastoral care, extra curricular, is it a high pressured school etc..thanks so much.
Our son is in DGS and year 11 now, and our experience has been really great! The compulsory rugby is just for the first 6 weeks and then it is a choice to go on or not,... Our son also is not a rugby person and did not continue, although it is true that they need to do rugby on PE lessons even after,... I agree that choices for different sports could improve, but that is really the only downside I can pick up in all these years. Otherwise, academically very strong, many clubs and activities, great choice of languages, including two Japanese and Mandarin,... The music dpt is absolutely great and they have so many other extra curricular activities, trips (pity could not go on because of Covid,...but should come back soon)... It is our own experience, so obviously might vary,... but our son is really happy there.
linny75

Post by linny75 »

Thank you so much for your reply. Great to hear your son is really happy there. We have to list our schools by 31st October, and we don't know whether to list Dartford Grammar or Bexley Grammar 1st. He scored 402 in his kent test which gives him a very good chance of securing a place at Dartford Grammar..but we love Bexley Grammar too.
Fabatnear40

Post by Fabatnear40 »

I have sons who are at the school and they both enjoy it there. Rugby started in earnest this term which for my eldest owing to covid he missed out on in y7. That said, they scheduled rugby sessions so both y7s and y8s had rugby on Saturday mornings. It is only for the term and your son will be able to opt out after unless he discovers he actually likes it. The curriculum is robust, pastoral care very good. The teachers are attentive and approachable. There is the expectation of maintaining a high standard of work. Your son will have to be committed to completing assignments and working hard. The school has a huge playground for sports which is not on the school campus but not very far off. The area they are in during lunch is not the 'ideal' primary school setup but I reckon he will adjust to it if he goes there. The music department is strong and the reputation of the school on a whole is still there. It will be for you to decide if it will truly suit your son.
topira

Post by topira »

I have 2 sons in the school and another one hopefully joining them next September. My oldest was very much not into rugby when he started. But now, four years later, he is part of the A team for his year group and enjoys it very much. However as has been said already it is only for 6 weeks after which the boys can choose whether to continue. The pastoral care is good, and it is easy to get in touch with my sons' form tutors whenever I have any concerns. I wouldn't say it's a high-pressure environment, but the boys are encouraged to work to a high standard. My 2 sons enjoy it very much.
linny75

Post by linny75 »

thank you so much for your reply. May i ask, do the boys school socially mix at all with the girls school- perhaps at events during the year? x