Sevenoaks to Newstead Woods

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wedoourbest

Sevenoaks to Newstead Woods

Post by wedoourbest »

We are undecided as to whether to send our daughter to Newstead Woods or Tonbridge Grammar for Girls (she has attained the necessary marks).

Even though she would be able to catch a bus to Tonbridge quite easily from where we live in Sevenoaks, our preference is in fact Newstead Woods.

However, I haven't found any buses from Sevenoaks during school times and I'm not overly keen with our dearest joining the many adults commuters to London by train.

Has anyone any experience of their child making this journey?
Sorrel

Re: Sevenoaks to Newstead Woods

Post by Sorrel »

Fast trains don't stop at Orpington in peak time so she would need to get one of the metro/ stopper trains in the morning. That's not going to be very full of commuters, as it'll be starting from Sevenoaks and everyone from there and further into Kent will be on the fast train. It's only a short journey anyway and commuters are peaceable people. In the afternoon, she could get a fast train up to about 5 pm but the commuter rush won't have started yet. Why not try the journey one morning next week and see what you think?
wedoourbest

Post by wedoourbest »

Thanks. That's a good point and reassuring. I've commuted in the past from Sevenoaks and I don't recall seeing any Newstead Wood girls on the platform (there are plenty heading south towards Tonbridge though).

If there are any others with daughters travelling from Sevenoaks to Newstead, do PM me and perhaps our girls can travel together.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

A bit late as you will already have submitted your CAF but I am presuming you must be on the edge of Sevenoaks to be within the 9 mile Newstead catchment? Also the qualifying score is just a baseline not a pass, the required score for entrance is often a fair bit higher. Just wanted to make a note in case others from Sevenoaks outside the 9 mile catchment are thinking of applying in the future.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now