Haberdashers’ Adams -2022 new classroom and OOA entry points

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToastwithJam

Haberdashers’ Adams -2022 new classroom and OOA entry points

Post by ToastwithJam »

Hi all, a newbie here! My son sat the Adam’s Grammar test and got a letter on Thursday saying he had passed and was eligible to apply for a place. This has come as a nice surprise because although he scored highly on practice papers, on the day my son accidentally missed a chunk of questions out - so I had thought that was that, he’d scuppered his chances of passing. As it happens, he got a score of 314 which is better than we expected seeing as he didn’t complete the paper. Now we have a glimmer of hope again but we’re out of area so I’m wondering… if there are an extra 30? more places this year with the new classroom opening for Year 7 2022 entry, how many of those 30 might equate to extra OOA places? With a lower pass mark this year, (from 309 down to 301) plus 30? more places, does a boy with 314 points who’s OOA stand more of a chance of getting a place than he may have done in previous years? Any thoughts appreciated on the points needed for OOA kids for 2022 entry - March is a long way away and I don’t want to get my hopes back up for nothing!
New 11+ mum

Re: Haberdashers’ Adams -2022 new classroom and OOA entry po

Post by New 11+ mum »

Nice to see an Adams post, there don't seem to be many of us around! We're OOC too in Shrewsbury. From the research I've done, the OOC score needed for a few years was in the mid 330's and from what the Registrar has told me catchment kids were usually around 30 in number per year. The extra places were available from this year so boys taking the test last year were the first affected. From what I've been told the OOC score dropped as low as 317 last year. Even though there were extra places, a relatively low number of boys were in catchment (25 according to this document https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ams-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) so my thoughts are that they've dropped the pass rate this year to allow for more catchment boys to pass. I think the consequence of this is that the minimum OOC score will increase. Whereabouts do you live? Would it be viable to move your boy to a catchment school before 1st March so that he can benefit from the second round of offers?
ToastwithJam

Post by ToastwithJam »

Thanks so much for your reply! It does seem a bit quiet on the Adams front here. Feeling a bit like all hope has been snuffed out reading your reply though. Must be going senile because now you say it, of course the new classroom opened this September - we were lucky enough to get a little tour of the school and we saw the newly painted classrooms ready for boys to go into this September! :roll: We are near Shifnal so in the catchment for Idsall which is a good school. What happens with the 2nd round of offers, do you know when that happens and how it works? I don’t think it would be possible to move schools at this late stage so it looks like Adams is off the cards for us due to geography as we are in Shropshire rather than Telford & Wrekin - even though we actually live closer than some boys in the over subscription schools. What a shame!
New 11+ mum

Post by New 11+ mum »

I dont know how it works but if you look at the Admisiions Policy the info is at the bottom of page 3 about moving schools https://www.adamsgs.uk/admissions/admissions-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If you've got a good school near you then that's good, I keep hearing rubbish things about our local school. It's a 5 minute walk from our house and would be so much easier in fairness. Our lad has had his heart set on Adams since watching the videos back in May and worked hard to get a good score. It's such a shame your lad missed a section, it's a tough test at such a young age.
ToastwithJam

Post by ToastwithJam »

Thanks for that. Yes, I think we should be super proud of them for working so hard and then sitting down and getting through the exam even though it’s in unfamiliar surroundings and quite daunting and stressful. My son worked his little socks off to prepare for the exam and tried his best on the day so I couldn’t be prouder of him for that, whatever the end result!
New 11+ mum

Post by New 11+ mum »

Absolutely, it was mega stressful wasn't it. Although I think I was more stressed than my son seeing that huge queue of parents and children.
ToastwithJam

Post by ToastwithJam »

:lol:
Yep, I was on tenterhooks all morning, could barely concentrate on anything!
New 11+ mum

Post by New 11+ mum »

Me too!! I had to go to Greggs and get a bacon and egg butty and coffee to distract me :lol: Then waiting for the next month was a killer. I pounced on the postie when I spotted him the other side of the road :lol: then I nearly ran up to school to tell our lad his result, but managed to hold back til pickup time (just)!
ToastwithJam

Post by ToastwithJam »

Yes, definitely got a few more grey hairs during that long wait! :lol:
Newbee9

Post by Newbee9 »

Hi All , I am new to this group and trying to understand what are the chances of getting place in Adam's new port for my son.
He scored 345+ currently in priorslee primary school , Telford . His school is not listed in Adam's preferred list.
What are the chances especially this time as min qualifying score is 301.

Thank you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now