How much to include in Local Review request

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Scarecrow

How much to include in Local Review request

Post by Scarecrow »

Hi there,

I have read through the articles regarding preparation for local reviews, and have a few questions. I find the info regarding reviews and appeals can get blurred and want to nail the review rather than waiting for appeal.

1. I am still confused about how much to include about my child's non-academic attributes or character. I have so much I could write about those, in addition to the academic evidence but don't want to overwhelm whoever is conducting these reviews. Also it sounds as though people reserve all that info for appeals, but again I don't want to be unsuccessful at the review because I haven't mentioned the extra info.

2. Overall, how many words do you think is reasonable for the outline for reasons of review?

3. Is is preferable to write in short paragraphs with a few short sentences, or primarily bullet points? I am anxious about appearing to write too little.

4. Should I include reasons why I wish my child attend the school other than why they should qualify?

5. Is it enough to write just a couple of sentences regarding academic ability and then direct the school to the evidence?

6. Is it too emotive to include a parental experience of a similar situation at this stage?

7. No major extenuating cirumstances, but a couple of stresses which did not help in the lead up to the exam, should I mention those?

8. Is it essential for a Headteacher letter to be included or is a Year 6 teacher letter enough if the HT is reliant on the class teacher to write the letter?

Many thanks for your help!
Etienne

Re: How much to include in Local Review request

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
Scarecrow wrote:1. I am still confused about how much to include about my child's non-academic attributes or character.
None at all - it's the outcome of an academic test that's being reviewed.

The list of academic evidence here could be helpful for either an appeal or a review:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have so much I could write about those, in addition to the academic evidence but don't want to overwhelm whoever is conducting these reviews. Also it sounds as though people reserve all that info for appeals
I hope not!
It's not what we advise for appeals:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. Overall, how many words do you think is reasonable for the outline for reasons of review?
Have a look at Mary's letter, E32 (c):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. Is is preferable to write in short paragraphs with a few short sentences, or primarily bullet points?
See Mary's letter!
I am anxious about appearing to write too little.
It's the evidence that counts.
4. Should I include reasons why I wish my child attend the school other than why they should qualify?
The only issue for a review is qualification.
5. Is it enough to write just a couple of sentences regarding academic ability and then direct the school to the evidence?
See Mary's letter!
6. Is it too emotive to include a parental experience of a similar situation at this stage?
Yes - and it's not wanted! :?
7. No major extenuating cirumstances, but a couple of stresses which did not help in the lead up to the exam, should I mention those?
What you really need is evidence of the impact on the child (from the school, for example).
8. Is it essential for a Headteacher letter to be included or is a Year 6 teacher letter enough if the HT is reliant on the class teacher to write the letter?
A letter from the class teacher should be all right.
Etienne
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

Thanks Etienne for your helpful answers.

I had looked at ‘Mary’s letter’ before I posted but still wanted to double check that those brief bullet points were still fine rather than short paragraphs - it’s still really hard for me to resist writing more!! I guess all that is reserved if we decide to go for the full appeal.

I don’t have evidence of how the recent stress may have impacted on my child so do I not mention those at all? The review form does invite this though.

Our school don’t have CAT tests or anything else with objective numbers, just a school report demonstrating a higher level of understanding in the majority of areas, and applying the knowledge. Although they say she is an extremely able mathematician and attains far above children her age and has great skills in English and creative writing. I hope this is sufficient?

One last question for now - after allocations day, can we appeal for a school for which we did not qualify for local review, as it would make no sense to put this on the Common Application Form?

Many thanks!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Scarecrow wrote:I don’t have evidence of how the recent stress may have impacted on my child so do I not mention those at all? The review form does invite this though.
You could mention it very briefly, but I can't see that it will count for anything unless there is evidence relating to the child.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our school don’t have CAT tests or anything else with objective numbers, just a school report demonstrating a higher level of understanding in the majority of areas, and applying the knowledge. Although they say she is an extremely able mathematician and attains far above children her age and has great skills in English and creative writing. I hope this is sufficient?
That's a question for your panel! :?
All I can do is provide a list of possible evidence - https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and suggest "the more evidence, the better!"
it’s still really hard for me to resist writing more!!
When the panel give reasons for their decision, I guarantee those reasons will be based on the academic evidence in front of them, not on anything you write.
One last question for now - after allocations day, can we appeal for a school for which we did not qualify for local review, as it would make no sense to put this on the Common Application Form?
I'm not entirely sure I understand, but does this help? - https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

I'm not entirely sure I understand, but does this help? - https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

In our area if the child scores within the number of marks below the qualifying score eg. 12 marks below, they get an opportunity to request a local review. They need to include the schools for which they qualified for a local review on the CAF form.

However, if they do not score within those marks for their first choice school, they are not given the opportunity for a local review at this stage. But what if we want to submit an appeal after the National Allocations Day, do we still use a space up on the CAF form for this school in advance of an appeal if we did not qualify for a local review?

Just really want to get this right as the CAF forms need to be in by the end of this week and typically the admissions office at the school is closed for half term :evil:
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

If I were to list the 2 schools we qualified for local review for (whilst not knowing whether we are successful at this stage) and the school we did not qualify for local review, does it matter which order we put them in?

As in the former 2 schools to increase our chances of getting a place if we were successful at local review or risk decreasing our chances of getting the third school at appeal or vice versa?

This is driving me nuts and we have only a few days to get the CAF form in!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

does it matter which order we put them in?
I can't advise which schools to include on the CAF, but whichever ones you decide on, you must list them in your real order of preference (i.e. the school you want most of all must be 1st, your next preference must be 2nd, etc.).
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... n-form-caf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
.... to increase our chances of getting a place
You do not increase your chances of getting a place at this stage by trying to manipulate the order. Put the schools in your real order of preference.

One word of caution. Your final preference should be a school that you are more or less certain to get, and ideally one that would be acceptable to you as a last resort - because if none of your preferences can be met, you will be allocated whatever school is nearest and has vacancies. This could be a very unpopular school (which is why it has vacancies) and/or a very long way away.
Etienne
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

Etienne wrote:
does it matter which order we put them in?
I can't advise which schools to include on the CAF, but whichever ones you decide on, you must list them in your real order of preference (i.e. the school you want most of all must be 1st, your next preference must be 2nd, etc.).
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... n-form-caf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
.... to increase our chances of getting a place
You do not increase your chances of getting a place at this stage by trying to manipulate the order. Put the schools in your real order of preference.

One word of caution. Your final preference should be a school that you are more or less certain to get, and ideally one that would be acceptable to you as a last resort - because if none of your preferences can be met, you will be allocated whatever school is nearest and has vacancies. This could be a very unpopular school (which is why it has vacancies) and/or a very long way away.
Great, thanks for that.

Would including any uncertainties regarding my child's result be acceptable either at local review or at appeal?
To this day, we are unbelievably shocked at the scores to the extent where we feel it was not their own paper and there may have been typo's in the numbers or some other error made in the process. How do people normally challenge this? Sorry about all these questions!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Scarecrow wrote:Would including any uncertainties regarding my child's result be acceptable either at local review or at appeal?
No, I don't think so. It's a bit like families claiming that they are about to move into the catchment area - no one is likely to believe it until it has become a fact.
To this day, we are unbelievably shocked at the scores to the extent where we feel it was not their own paper and there may have been typo's in the numbers or some other error made in the process. How do people normally challenge this? Sorry about all these questions!
You would have to ask the admission authority or LA if they have a system in place which enables you to request a check. Some will do it for a fee. Some will do it free of charge. Some will have no system.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If there is no system in place, you would have to come up with sufficient academic evidence of very high ability to show a review/appeal panel that the result was a blip (if not a mistake).
Etienne
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

Etienne wrote:!
You would have to ask the admission authority or LA if they have a system in place which enables you to request a check. Some will do it for a fee. Some will do it free of charge. Some will have no system.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If there is no system in place, you would have to come up with sufficient academic evidence of very high ability to show a review/appeal panel that the result was a blip (if not a mistake).[/quote]

Thanks for that. The latest school report from Year 5 says that due to school closures they are not able to indicate attainment for age related expectations eg GDS / EXS but give a marker for my child demonstrating above secure understanding and applying to a wide range of contexts for most areas. So I was thinking should I also include results from KS1 SATS and Year 4 showing GDS in all areas? Only because reading through lots of review and appeal info, it looks like all the schools care about are actual or predicted results either in numeric figures or GDS, and we have none of that for Year 5 because of school closures.

So would it be a help or a hindrance if I included evidence from lower down the school just to show evidence of GDS please?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now