The cost of instruments

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

The cost of instruments

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

At my DS school he has to play the piano and one other instrument. So because we're thinking about long-term music scholarships we opted for the bassoon. Little did I realise that this instrument starts at around £2300, :shock: and the monthly rental is £45. Because he is small he needs the small version for 4 years which will cost £2160 in rental, and then he will need a proper sized one. So we can't afford to buy one, can't find a second hand one, but by the time we've rented for 4 years we will have spent the same amount of money! :evil:

So, beware when your darlings exclaim that they want to play some exotic instrument. I feel sick! :cry:
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

And then they never practice it or touch it again apart from when forced to for lessons!

I was rather sad when mine said they didn't want to carry on with their instruments this year as I like them doing the music, but a part of me was very glad as I think I have been throwing good money after bad for some time!

Anyone want a piano, small violin or clarinet? :D

Mind you it sounds like your ds is actually talented Tipsy and may want to practice
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Tipsy, how are you going to pay for Eton or Winchester if you can't afford a bassoon? The fees at either school are more than 10 times the cost of that just for one year, not to mention all the extras!! :shock:

PS I have two sizes of violin, a cornet, a trumpet, and an oboe all reclining in my loft!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

No idea about talent except for singing and I know for a fact he doesn't want to practice but thats the beauty of boarding as someone else can moan at him! :D

My eldest was playing the piano and was good at it but refused to practice and I thought "Well he's never going to ba concert pianist" so I wasn't going to waste any more money. Of course now they play all the time on the instruments that they no longer have lessons for - typical! :roll: :x
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

KES Parent wrote:Tipsy, how are you going to pay for Eton or Winchester if you can't afford a bassoon? The fees at either school are more than 10 times the cost of that just for one year, not to mention all the extras!! :shock:

PS I have two sizes of violin, a cornet, a trumpet, and an oboe all reclining in my loft!!
In the same way everyone does - with great difficulty! :( Anyway just because we can afford (or think we can afford :shock: ) certain things doesn't mean we have or can afford to spend £2k when we feel like. With moving house, school fees month and credit crunch, just now is not a good time for any of us! :cry:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Most County Music services hire out instruments on a very cheap basis. In Gloucestershire, Bassoon is classed as an endangered instrument, and lessons are given free of charge (along with orchestral percussion) at the Saturday music centres.

One other thing to consider is that you can buy the instruments via a government 'VAT free' scheme that saves 17.5%.

My dear 8 year old has decided that she wants to learn harp, (in addition to piano & percussion that she already learns). I've pointed out the obvious drawbacks (£10K+, larger car, no room in the car for anyone else, or any other instruments, being first in (to tune) & last out of a concert hall.... And that her arms are not long enough...
Capers
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

We have a very expensive clothes horse in Miss yoyo's bedroom, otherwise known as a cello!

and 3 sets of drums
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

yoyo123 wrote:We have a very expensive clothes horse in Miss yoyo's bedroom, otherwise known as a cello!

and 3 sets of drums
That would be my treadmill :oops: . Very interested in that advice Capers - I'm off to look now! :)
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Great choice, bassoon!

Personally I would rent / buy second hand. Renting for the first 2 terms is usually a good first step until you know if the child is going to continue with the instrument.

There are plenty of second hand instruments around - look at notices in the local music shop, or ask their teacher; there are lots of people who buy new and then the child gives up and you can get quite a bargain. Also look at online 2nd hand sites. You can then pick up an instrument for a fraction or the cost. But you do need to know what you are buying; ask the music teacher to write you a spec before you start looking / show them adverts you have seen and ask their advice.

By the time you know you want to stick with an instrument you then know what would suit you….the difference in quality between a cheapish second hand one and something decent really doesn’t start to matter until you are at least grade 6 or above. The ability / interest of the child and the quality of the teacher is what makes the difference! There are also enough other costs incurred buying music.

If a child is really gifted, there are schemes for loan of quality instruments at nominal charge. Have a look at this link – it gives many of the schemes around and links to various loan options. www.a-y-m.org.uk/links.html

It includes a link to the arts council scheme called “Take it Awayâ€
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks for the advice. I've looked into some of the schemes but you have to be in a state school (even if you're still loaded) to be entitled to most of these schemes. I'm hoping we'll be eligible for the Take It Away scheme. I do think its wrong that just because your child is in a private school they have to pay VAT on their instruments and state school children do not! :x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now