Maths top-up, summer of Y6

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JustOutside

Maths top-up, summer of Y6

Post by JustOutside »

DD is currently in Y6, and is off to grammar school in September.

At our recent parents’ evening, I asked whether there was anything in particular that she’d benefit from working on between now and when she starts. Her teacher suggested doing a bit of maths, such as multi-step word problems, to keep her fluency up and her confidence high, as she is likely to meet quite a few maths whizzes at grammar.

Can anyone suggest some suitable materials? Ideally printed workbooks such as the ones DD used when preparing for the 11 plus – but, of course, she’s done most of those!
Goodbyekitty

Re: Maths top-up, summer of Y6

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Hi JustOutside, DD is also starting grammar school in September.

Can't remember if we were on this journey with our DS in 2018?

We have been given some CPG revision workbooks from school to do over tne Easter holidays but apart from that and SATs revision at school we will not be doing any other extra work out of school.

Aa she has done extra work from Y4 for the Grammar Test, I really want her to enjoy the rest of Y6.

As I remember from my sons time in Y7 it was really revision of Y6 standard maths and nothing too complicated.
Also if she is hitting Greater Depths in Maths I wouldn't worry too much.
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

Thanks for replying, @Goodbyekitty. DD is my first, which probably explains why I'm over-thinking this!

I'm not worried about KS2 SATs, but DD's teacher suggested keeping DD in practice with maths over the summer, and I'm looking for ideas for that. A friend's DS has gone to grammar this year, and he was top of his class at maths in his state primary school, but was surprised to be low-middle ranking in his first maths assessment at grammar. I'm aware that some children have been heavily prepped for grammar, and I don't want DD, who is coming from a small and not remotely pushy state primary school, to have her confidence dented early on.

I should add that I'm not in any doubt that grammar will suit DD - she achieved high scores in the 11 plus at an unambitious school with DIY prep, and her verbal reasoning is excellent (avid reader) and she's working at greater depth for maths. I'm just looking for ideas for sources of fun maths activities to keep DD's fluency and confidence high through the summer. She's the sort of character whose confidence might be knocked if she perceives herself to be much weaker than others - she is fortunate to have coasted easily through primary.

I agree with you that Y6 should be a fun time, and certainly don't want to burden DD with too much, but I don't think her 11 plus journey was at all onerous, and she isn't getting much homework in Y6 and seems to have more free time than she knows what to do with at the moment. DD also thinks it's a good idea, and is happy to do some bits, as long as it's fun!

We will get some ideas from the excellent https://nrich.maths.org/ site, but a 'fun' workbook would be less work for me, if such a thing exists for this age/ability group (other than a Y7 curriculum workbook, which I definitely don't want at this stage!)
Nella

Post by Nella »

Hi Just outside.
I asked my daughter (yr 8 at KEFW) about the maths in yr 7. She sounds similar to your daughter- coasted through primary school and very little 11+ prep (apart from how to do MCQs). She attempted one of the 11+ practice papers and gave up as it was too hard. In primary was working at greater depth and with the 1st lockdown didn’t do any maths between March and September.

She says that the stuff that they learnt in yr 7 was all new and it was all explained. She’s not a maths genius by any means but is doing well.

She rolled her eyes when I asked if she could have done with extra maths work over the holidays….

All children are different but I’m glad she managed to have a summer with no expectations apart from having fun.
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

Thanks, @Nella - that is reassuring to hear, especially from someone whose DD took the same test a couple of years earlier, for a grammar in a similar area. (DD is off to Sutton Coldfield Girls)

I'm pretty sure I'm over-thinking this and should relax a bit more! Maybe a handful of sessions with me to explore challenges from Nrich over the summer will be (more than) sufficient.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

How about this sort of thing?
https://thedetectiveproject.co.uk/wp-co ... ystery.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are also lots of logic puzzles online. They’ll help with mathematical thinking and are fun.
mathplayground.com has some excellent games which I used with my year 6 maths club. It works on an i pad too.
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

Thanks, @yoyo123 - that's just the sort of thing! I had forgotten that DD had enjoyed Maths Mysteries which were downloadable for free during the first lockdown - I probably have some still saved somewhere!

Will have a look at mathsplayground.com as well - I'd not heard of that one.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:D
“Lightybulb” is addictive.

https://www.mathplayground.com/logic_lightybulb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

JustOutside wrote:Thanks for replying, @Goodbyekitty. DD is my first, which probably explains why I'm over-thinking this!

I'm not worried about KS2 SATs, but DD's teacher suggested keeping DD in practice with maths over the summer, and I'm looking for ideas for that. A friend's DS has gone to grammar this year, and he was top of his class at maths in his state primary school, but was surprised to be low-middle ranking in his first maths assessment at grammar. I'm aware that some children have been heavily prepped for grammar, and I don't want DD, who is coming from a small and not remotely pushy state primary school, to have her confidence dented early on.

I should add that I'm not in any doubt that grammar will suit DD - she achieved high scores in the 11 plus at an unambitious school with DIY prep, and her verbal reasoning is excellent (avid reader) and she's working at greater depth for maths. I'm just looking for ideas for sources of fun maths activities to keep DD's fluency and confidence high through the summer. She's the sort of character whose confidence might be knocked if she perceives herself to be much weaker than others - she is fortunate to have coasted easily through primary.

I agree with you that Y6 should be a fun time, and certainly don't want to burden DD with too much, but I don't think her 11 plus journey was at all onerous, and she isn't getting much homework in Y6 and seems to have more free time than she knows what to do with at the moment. DD also thinks it's a good idea, and is happy to do some bits, as long as it's fun!

We will get some ideas from the excellent https://nrich.maths.org/ site, but a 'fun' workbook would be less work for me, if such a thing exists for this age/ability group (other than a Y7 curriculum workbook, which I definitely don't want at this stage!)
Sorry JustOutside I got you mixed up with someone eles. It definitely is more daunting if it's your first child going to grammar as you're not sure what to expect.

DD is also starting Sutton Girls in Sept and she attends a local primary which has sets so there is a mix of abilities, so again she doesn't find school challenging. Luckily they all start on a level pegging field at grammar so it shouldn't be too daunting.

When DD started tuition lessons at a local tutors which was lovely and chilled, she was so put out in the 1st session with some of the other kids. From being one of the top achieving pupils in her year, there were kids who she said were very clever snd did better than her in the tests. An eye-opener lol as she also attend a not very pushy local primary.
I told her to always do her best and not try to compete with anyone else.

Please don't worry too much. There seems to be some good suggestions from members regarding extra maths practice, where as my DD need to start reading more books as she is not an avid reader.

Good luck to your DD at Sutton Girls and hope she enjoys her time there. It seems like a lovely school. :D
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

@Yoyo123 DD and I worked through “Lightybulb” together, and she is now slightly addicted to Math Playground – thank you!

@Goodbyekitty I almost wish my DD had had the ‘shock’ of discovering other bright children at tuition sessions (we did DIY prep). I do worry it might dent her confidence to experience a class full of bright minds for the first time – and I think it’s most likely to happen in maths… although I could be wrong, of course.

If her teacher hadn’t said anything about keeping up the maths I wouldn’t have worried, as I'm confident that grammar school will suit DD. I’ll encourage her to do a few bits during the summer on the useful ideas given above, and just try to relax… Thanks all!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now