Appeals in lincolnshire

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Maria

Appeals in lincolnshire

Post by Maria »

Help, I need some reassurance and advice. My son received his 11 plus results today and missed passing by 6 marks. He's devastated as I am for him. I would never have entered him for the exam if I did not think he had a good chance. I got fed up of the number of people who said 'Oh George will pass'. He's on course to get level 5s in his sats. He did not go to a tutor so I'm also wondering if I didn't do right by him by not giving him this opportunity. Anyway that's in the past. In Lincolnshire this year they changed the papers to one verbal and one non-verbal - I thought they might perhaps lower the pass mark but it appears they have not.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone. Does he stand a good chance if I go to appeal. Also this is not an appeal issue re: local authority, so will it just be the school we are'fighting' or will it include our local authority.

We need to send in our Secondary school application form by 24th - should I still place the grammar school as first choice.

Thanks for any help

Maria

Post by Guest »

Hi Maria

I'm sorry to hear that your son didn't get through - mine failed last year, and we all felt dreadful. However, he is now doing well, and is living proof that there is life after the 11+.

I suggest you try posting on the Lincolshire forum - scroll down on the front page to 11+ regions. It has a number of regulars on there and although there is nothing directly on appeals, someone will know the answer.

Good luck
Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Maria

To answer your question “Does he stand a good chance if I go to appeal?” it rather depends on the strength of the case you present. Ideally you need alternative evidence of high academic ability, and some extenuating circumstances to explain the underperformance.

For further information, have a look at the appeals section of this website:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

If level 5s have been predicted, it does sound as if George is a very good pupil, but reasoning tests do not measure exactly the same thing as SATs.

It would be worth asking your headteacher for advice about an appeal. After all, if you decide to go ahead, you will want his/her support.

Some grammar schools in Lincolnshire, such as Queen Elizabeth’s, Gainsborough, are under local authority control. However, if the school you are interested in is a foundation grammar school and its own admission authority, then your appeal would be against the school.

As for the common application form, as far as I know Lincolnshire (but not necessarily the foundation grammar schools) operates an “equal preference” system, so if the alternative schools you have in mind are under local authority control, I think it would make sense to put the grammar school at the top of your list because that will not disadvantage your other choices.

I'm not an expert on Lincolnshire, but I hope this will be of some help.

Good luck
Etienne
kate1

Post by kate1 »

Does this mean that if the school is Foundation, and the appeal would be against the school, that you would stand a better chance than against the LA? We also received news this morning that we didnt reach the qualifying standard!

Regards

Kate
newbie 36

appeals

Post by newbie 36 »

Hi my son also didnt get the result he hoped for. This was for Gainsborough Grammer. Howver, there were no marks on. I am unsure as to ring the school and ask, or just leave it. Any advice?
Thanks
kate1

Post by kate1 »

I am sorry Newbie. Our paper didnt have a mark but I think we have to contact our headteacher on Monday to get an idea of how many marks they received. I guess you are feeling as devastated as me!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

kate1 wrote:Does this mean that if the school is Foundation, and the appeal would be against the school, that you would stand a better chance than against the LA? We also received news this morning that we didnt reach the qualifying standard!
I don't believe so, Kate. Taking the country as a whole, the statistics suggest that there tends to be a better chance with local authority panels.
Have a look at:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php
section A5.
Of course, the school you are interested in could be different. And the most important thing is the strength of your case.
newbie 36 wrote:Hi my son also didnt get the result he hoped for. This was for Gainsborough Grammer. Howver, there were no marks on. I am unsure as to ring the school and ask, or just leave it. Any advice?
Thanks
I certainly think you should try to find out. Why not follow Kate's advice and speak to your headteacher?

It seems to me that you need to know the score, because the closer it is to the qualifying mark, the more likely it is that you should be going to appeal.
Etienne
Maria

11 plus appeals

Post by Maria »

Hi all

Thanks for your replies. Will let you know how I get on - I think we'll be going for appeal.

Maria
Maria

Re: appeals

Post by Maria »

newbie 36 wrote:Hi my son also didnt get the result he hoped for. This was for Gainsborough Grammer. Howver, there were no marks on. I am unsure as to ring the school and ask, or just leave it. Any advice?
Thanks
Do find out his score. You may want to appeal. I do wonder what performance in Lincolnshire was like overall and I'll certainly be following the results with interest.

Maria
kaz

How do you know

Post by kaz »

Hi. sorry to hear of your disappointment. I am interested in how you know George failed to qualify by six points - I thought you just got qualified or not?!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now