What next?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2stressed

What next?

Post by 2stressed »

Be prepared for quite a rough couple of weeks after tomorrow.

DS did not know what to do with himself once he had taken the test in January. Because his whole focus had been on the 11+ for two months he could not get used to the fact that he did not have to worry about it or practice any more. Also, I think he enjoyed all the attention he had been given and liked the time he spent sitting with me doing papers and going through them. He really missed it and in fact when I started practicing with DD1 in July he did a few papers as well just because he wanted to.

Just wanted to share this with you all as I found it really odd last time.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

That's interesting, thanks for sharing that.

DD1 has been rather a nightmare over the last few weeks - every tiime I ask her to do something like tidy her room, I get a flounce and a strop about how much stress she is under! I have gone easy on her a bit but the bedroom is now so bad that you can barely get in the door!

DD2 has been very grumpy about all the attention DD1 has been getting and the fact that she has got away with not tidying her bedroom etc.

I suppose it is all such an anticlimax, having worked so much towards thse two days and then your whole focus has to shift and it is probably teh first time that has happened for the majority of children.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hi 2stressed,

I've found the opposite with mine.

She's glad to have the free time to herself now, but this could be helped by the fact it was her birthday Monday just gone, and she got a wii and some games for it - bet you can't guess what she's been up to!!!

'Tis poor old me who feels at a loose end - never mind, I've promised her some maths classes after half term as a bolster for SATS :lol: , I've even roped in her little friend who comes three nights a week :twisted: .

In the meantime, I've signed up for night school :roll:
keljbj

Post by keljbj »

Thanks for that.

We had tears and panic last night but dd was ok this morning. I`m hoping she will take it in her stride but it makes sense that she may feel a bit down after working so hard towards these two days.

She has also been relishing the attention, as she has a 3 year old brother and an 11 month old sister, so we dont get an awful lot of one-to-one time!

I might have to try and plan some activities to take her mind off it.
Kelly M Reeves
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Snowdrops wrote:Hi 2stressed,

I've found the opposite with mine.

She's glad to have the free time to herself now, but this could be helped by the fact it was her birthday Monday just gone, and she got a wii and some games for it - bet you can't guess what she's been up to!!!

'Tis poor old me who feels at a loose end - never mind, I've promised her some maths classes after half term as a bolster for SATS :lol: , I've even roped in her little friend who comes three nights a week :twisted: .

In the meantime, I've signed up for night school :roll:
After my DS finished in Jan, after working hard for a pretty intensive 8 weeks, I would have been relaxed about him doing nothing for the rest of the school year. The SATs are for the schools benefit, not the pupils, in fact the converse. the school had done b***** all to help us with the 11+, hence the 8 weeks of stress, and I was minded to do b***** all to help the school. It was only the thought of a possible HM appeal that I softened my stance, and at least provided him with some muted encouragement to continue working hard for his SATs.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd's school did b****r all with her either - but I wouldn't expect them to, us being out of catchment :lol:

However, they were very good at giving us their opinions and advice as and when needed!!

Yes, the results will be for the benefit of the school in the short term, but in the long term my dd (and her friend) will also benefit from it.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Our school have been very good. They're not actually supposed to coach or anything and they haven't but the 11+ children have had no homework since return to school which has meant we can concentrate on 11+ stuff for a short while in the evenings if needs be.

They also did a "mock" 11+ back in April and based on that and what they know of the child, recommended G (grammar), B (borderline, ie, could go either way) or C (comprehensive). The teachers have been very approachable too and helpful when parents/children have had wobbles!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Snowdrops wrote: Yes, the results will be for the benefit of the school in the short term, but in the long term my dd (and her friend) will also benefit from it.
Do not necessarily agree. Criticism is often expressed on this site, quite reasonably, of pupils being coached to extreme, and being taught by rote to pass the 11+. From what I saw of DS's Sats work, in particular the maths, he was simply being taught by rote by the school to answer a very limited range of questions. That is not what Primary teaching should be.

Anyway this is diverging off topic. Best of luck to those in the middle of the 11+ tests, and I hope you can have a relaxed few months ahead.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now