NFER 11a section 1 question 5

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

NFER 11a section 1 question 5

Post by moved »

I have just started my daughter on this paper, probably a mistake as I now know that everyone thinks this is the hardest paper.

But we cannot see any more logic to answer a over answer d. How are we to know whether the whole arrow is flipped or just the colours, after the rotation.

In the example the arrow is symmetrical, but the arrow in the question slopes.

Am I being stupid?
shuff

Post by shuff »

I am delighted to see that others were struggling with this paper, nfer A. My son who usually breezes through the nvr found it really hard and was quite discouraged. I looked on this forum and found he was not alone, told him not to worry. They obviously decided to throw them in at the deep end with this shocker!
fm

Post by fm »

In analogic questions you have to apply to the second set exactly what was done to the first set i.e. rotate 90 clockwise and then reverse the colours.
Doing this, you can only get A as the pointed bit is on the bottom rather than top in D.

As you say, you could possibly reflect it horizontally and then rotate 90 anti-clockwise, which would produce D; it is a far more obscure way of doing, however, and I would encourage a child to go for the more obvious.

As a tutor, I would not recommend starting on the NFER papers. In fact, these would be the last I'd do a week or two before the exam, assuming it is set by NFER. There are easier versions of the same type which you can go through first. There are harder as well which I sometimes do before the NFER, allowing the child to do all his learning and mistakes on these, before finally doing the NFER ones.
shuff

Post by shuff »

My son has completed all the bond books, so the tutor asked if we could start on the papers. That is why we started with nfer test A. It will be interesting to see if B C and D are any easier, hope so...
fm

Post by fm »

Out of interest, when is your exam? It seems rather early in the day to be on NFER papers.
shuff

Post by shuff »

We are in Kent so still not sure of the test date. Most likely to be September though.
fm

Post by fm »

Oh, well, not so long away then. I just wondered what you were going to do nearer the time if you're doing NFER now.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Dear fm

Thanks for all your help on the NVR forum. So glad to have found you!

I started my son of the NFER papers, as you know from the other thread "Running out of Non Verbal resources"... I tired NFER it was ashocker... so then I treid 11D which was still quite hard.

Reading the above post, I am getting that I should be starting ds on NFER until the end of October - to sit the exam on the 8th November? Am I right?

My only worry is that say we cover all the other resorces mentioned in the other thread, ie bond papers and EPE NVR CD, what if we then come to the NFER, with only two weeks left to go, and still find them hard? Panic?!

Are these NFER papers a "true likeness" of the real thing or are they harder?

Thanks,