Change of Admissions Criteria??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
melinda

Change of Admissions Criteria??

Post by melinda »

I have heard, on the grapevine, that Sutton Grammar have changed their admissions criteria?
I have heard there is going to be no distance criteria and it will be solely on the scores in the test.
Not sure if this is true - don't quote me as this is a rumour and you know how these can grow from seeds to oaks in record time! :D

Does anyone know any different??
melinda

Post by melinda »

Having checked the website I'm not sure if it has altered, as it still says that boys with same scores will be allocated places dependant on distance from sutton council offices.

Oh well, a pointless posting perhaps??
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

No I am sure you are right. It will be strict rank order of the test and distance only comes into it if you are tied on the same score and only one place.

Previously the first 30 were taken in rank order and then I think the next about 60 places were for those who lived within 10km radius in rank order and then the last 30 in rank order
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Having gone through their prospectus that I got last week during their open evening, yes, they have changed their criteria. As previously mentioned, it is going to be test score + the distance. So if two boys tied with the same score then the one who lives closer will get the place.

Gilly
melinda

Post by melinda »

Thanks for the confirmation - i wonder why they have done that - I assume it had to go through some sort of procedure to get it passed by the governors.
I did hear Wallington had three test sittings so no doubt the numbers will be higher than normal at Sutton because of this change.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I always felt the 10km rule didn't give us very much of an advantage with london traffic as it was a large radius compared to other schools, so it's possible it may not make such a difference.
Wallington will get relatively more applications I think because it's test is so early and results known before CAF entry-roughly 300 more than the others last year.
I think the credit crunch is likely to make a difference this year as well as people may be wary about taking on the commitment of 7 years of fee paying.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now