John Hampden Grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kamal.gulati1

Re: John Hampden Grammar school

Post by Kamal.gulati1 »

Another question comes into my mind if we are moved in Feb. Will he be consider between 1st March and 31st March allocation. Interesting to know what will he get on 1st March Allocation?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Kamal.gulati1 wrote:I was thinking it's not mandatory to change his school as it's last year he would like to spend with his friends. Also he got a trip in May for which we paid already.
you don't HAVE to change school if you can manage the journey but the problem with this is it probably raises the bar a bit for proving that you have genuinely moved and aren't intending to go back again.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Kamal.gulati1 wrote:Another question comes into my mind if we are moved in Feb. Will he be consider between 1st March and 31st March allocation. Interesting to know what will he get on 1st March Allocation?
not sure what he would get - possibly based on your old address as the new address wouldn't be considered until after March 1st - and it looks like the March 31st is only for people who were resident on October 31st
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, he would be allocated as if you were at the old address until May.
scary mum
Kamal.gulati1

Post by Kamal.gulati1 »

So we would get Slough school as put in CAF?
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

The Slough CAF will allocate based on how you ranked it. Which of the Langley non GS schools did you list as back up? If it’s Langley Academy you’re unlikely to get in unless your DC attends one of the two Langley feeders (LA primary or Langley Heritage).
If it’s Ditton Park you have listed, they will use your old address from Oct 1st. Either way, you will have quite a commute from Wycombe, motorways each day will be wearing…..

I am guessing from the desire to move to High Wycombe only after Oct 1st that your DC took and did not gain a 111 pass in the Slough exam, but did pass the Bucks papers?
Sympathies, we’re in a similar boat, though not moving as we have other DC, and wouldn’t move the whole family purely for a school place.
JH is very sought after, your strategy might have had more chance if you’d moved a few miles towards Burnham GS instead (or even to Cippenham of which part is Berkshire but still in cachement for BGS) , but I appreciate you may have set your heart on JH, and there may be other reasons for you to specifically move to High Wycombe than just the school.
Kamal.gulati1

Post by Kamal.gulati1 »

Thanks for your reply. I found it strange if we move to bucks then it should be bucks school
But you said right more logical to go for BGS though we still not sure if they allocate during second allocation.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You can look at the previous allocations in the links above. It's more likely with Burnham, but obviously no guarantees.
You would get a Bucks school if you lived in Bucks on 31st October, but you didn't - they allocate according to the admissions criteria, as do all schools, and that (generally) means that those who live closest get a place. A few years ago you would have got a place at Burnham from anywhere in the country in the first round, assuming you weren't allocated a higher preference. Times change, schools become more or less popular. All grammar schools seem to be very much in demand these days
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

there is absolutely no guarantee anywhere by now: second place allocations are very few.
Honestly the only way to “move for a school” that has likelyhood of success is before the school’s deadline for first allocation (which in some
Bucks schools is a year beforehand) : the rules are there to try to prevent people putting their DC in from miles away for multiple schools “just in case” then moving late to bump out genuinely local families from a space (because this strategy also makes it harder for local children to pass) .

So now I guess you need to make the decision with what you have: move to HW knowing you are unlikely to get a place, and then commute back to Langley for whichever non selective you get, OR do some research into the Upper schools in HW and once you are resident in HW sit on the waiting list for JH and hope you have a chance at some point of transfer. Or you could just stay put and keep DC in Ditton Park/Langley Academy. You didn’t say which you are likely to get?
Kamal.gulati1

Post by Kamal.gulati1 »

Thanks all for really useful discussion and information.

Yes, we live near to Castleview school and on 4th filled Ditton. We would rather need Ditton than Langley academy.

Problem is if we move to HW and still have Ditton then they would ask for Langley home address proof which we would not have it because we are moved to HW fully. Do they don't ask for any documentation after 1st March allocation :). We would anyway won't be able to travel that far but curious about process.

Problem is all good school near around HW gets filled before second allocation. Also, as per my knowledge there was no vacancy after 28th April 2022 for Sept 2022 admission in any Buck grammar school.