How to keep my son motivated

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sensible mum

How to keep my son motivated

Post by sensible mum »

Hello everyone
Just two more months to go for Reading Grammar exam. My son seems to have lost the interest & when he does badly in practice papers, his justification to the situation is that he is bored & can't be bothered. But apparently he will perform well in exam as he knows he wants to get a place there. All his mistakes are silly mistakes & none where I feel he needs to improve his knowledge. Can I relax by thinking Yes, he will do it in real exam or am I right in thinking he needs consistent practice leading up to the exam to perform well.
Please suggest how to deal with this boy!!! :?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

It is difficult to keep the motivation going.

When my dd got to this stage I offered to do all the work she was doing as well, ie: she was in competition with me - if she beat me (not hard!!) she got a small reward - if I won I got the bed settee out of her bedroom, needless to say it's still in there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps you could ease off and just keep him ticking over so to speak?

Good luck iwth it all!
stevew61

Re: How to keep my son motivated

Post by stevew61 »

sensible mum wrote:Hello everyone
Just two more months to go for Reading Grammar exam. My son seems to have lost the interest
Had a similar problem two years ago :) . Starting back at school was tiring so we stopped extra work for about ten days, then did shorter fun sessions focusing on problem topics, also did some easy stuff to boost confidence. :)

Keep the boy simmering, don't turn up the heat or he might boil over. :lol: :lol: We had several peaks and troughs (tears & tantrums) so decided to keep ticking over and focus on doing his best on the day.

We talked a lot about if it's hard on the day keep going everyone will find it hard, it is a tough day with three papers. We also worked on exam technique, not wasting to much time on difficult questions, eliminate wrong answers and go for a 50/50 guess. We talked about being nervous, a normal reaction and channelling the nervous energy into work. Find out what works for your son so on the day he does his best, that's all you can ask and hope for.

I am taking my year four boy to the open evening tonight to show him the science labs. as part of his brain washing, sorry motivation. :)

Good luck and best wishes.

steve
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Hi sensible mum
My daughter sat her vr in lincolnshire on saturday and has her nvr this saturday. We havent practiced our nvr for a couple of weeks as the vr was her first exam and felt we needed to concentrate on this.
She is getting her highest marks in nvr now - I think the break away has done her the world of good. I feel she has came on more in the last few weeks before the exam - she has put her 'game head' one - I think they are more sensible about this than we are!!