Maths practice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sandylou

Maths practice

Post by Sandylou »

Hello

My daughter is due to sit the 11+ at Slough Grammar and St. Bernards Catholic Grammar School and has been attending tutoring for the past year. I would like focus on her maths at home and was wondering which is the best test papers for this. I want to increase her speed also any tips on this.
Thanks is advance

Sandy
Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

I thought the maths paper was being dropped this year?
cordismith

Post by cordismith »

not sure whether it's been dropped this year or next but afaik it's the consortium that is dropping it so it'll still be part of the exam for slough grammar.
chad

Post by chad »

Hi,

To increase speed on the papers... make sure that she knows her multiplication tables, this will enable her to do calculations quicker.
Also... as it is multichoice..... if there are any she is unsure of then circle the question number and go back at the end. Make sure that no question is unanswered, even if it is a calculated guess.

We used the NFER Maths multi choice papers. Letting my son know that we were going thru them to see if there were any 'holes' in what he had been taught.
I photocopied them and so went through them twice.
This also gave him a bit of a boost as questions he struggled on when attempting for the first time he could then do easily the second time around.

I found that algebra and some trigonometry were the main 'gaps'.

Slough Grammar has said that they will not be following the consortium in dropping the Maths paper.
Sandylou

maths practice

Post by Sandylou »

Hi Chad

Thanks for the information, my daughter is very good with her multiplications, but I just think she needs more familiarity with the question types. I will try the NFER maths papers.

Sandy
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now