SECONDARY SCHOOL CHOICES

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nicemum

SECONDARY SCHOOL CHOICES

Post by nicemum »

Anyone is the same predicament as i am.
We live in Bickley, Bromley. My son is in year 4 at present. Very few choices of good schools, there is of course St Olave's - need to take test this is okay. but nothing more in terms of good grammer school. We were considering Chirleshurst and Sidcup Grammer, not sure if we will have a look in and maybe Haberdershe Aske in Lewisham. Most of these schools are miles away from where we live. the nearest local school is not very good - ravenbourne. What do i do? We thought we just prepare for the test and hoe he gets in to these - St Olave's, Chisle and Sidcup or Haberderaske. Are we considering things enough?
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Hi - the Bexley brochure has details of distances for the last five years for Chis and Sid - but be aware that Bexley measure around the streets, not in a straight line, so what looks like fairly big distances are actually quite small. If your son scores in the top 180 then they can go to whichever grammar school they like.

The distances were: (from 5 years ago to the present) :
5 miles, 6 miles, 5.5 miles, 4.4 miles, 4.6 miles

We are trying to decide whether to apply for St Olaves but i know it is hard to get into and i don't think we have enough time left to work on the writing task before November.

Do you mean Haberdasher Askes Knight Academy in Downham or HA Hatcham College in Downham? i think they both go by distance but I'm not sure.

Good luck whatever you decide.
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

i was refering to Haberdasher Askes in Lewisham. we still have about 1 year plus to go as he is only in year 4. but intendt to start some tutoring in Jan. So anyone who can reccomend a good one for bromley, i dont kow if this is allowed here.