HURSTMERE OUT OF CATCHMENT

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SHELBELLE

HURSTMERE OUT OF CATCHMENT

Post by SHELBELLE »

Hi to all

Could someone give me a bt of advice.

I am in Kent but on the Bexley Border and wondered if I had a chance in **** in possibly securing a place for my DS at hustmer.

I have read a few posts about distances and it doesn't look like I would even be considered.

Would like to know anyone's thoughts on this... does anyone know if they have ever offered places to out of Borough kids??

Thanks

S.B.
SHELBELLE

Post by SHELBELLE »

SORRY FOR ALL THOSE TYPO'S !!
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

To be honest I don't think you will be lucky. Last year they introduced a ranking system - everyone that applied took a test and then were put into 5 groups - they take the top 20% in the top group, then the next 20% etc. (Unlike the way the New Harris academy will rank, where there is an externally set mark for each ranking I beleive - but don't quote me on that)

Last year nobody knew the 11+ result so many children sat the Hurstmere test who would have already passed the 11+. One assumes most of them were in the top 20% (ie band 1) but didn't want the place as they went to grammar school - leaving not many children left in that band to take up the places available for that band. This means that last year, if you were in top band you got in regardless of where you lived.

I reckon this year, as children already know if they have passed the 11+, the only children sitting Hurstmere will be those that didn't pass, and therefore the top 20% will, on the whole, want to take up their place - and consequently the catchment will shrink right down again.

If anybody reads the situation differently (this is only what i have worked out) please let us know. We are in New Eltham - nobody gets in from herae, except last year when a boy got in from our street - top band.

Just out of interest, we visited Hurstmere on Monday. I'm pretty sure we were shown all the school, but many of the classrooms were empty - I caculated that we can't have seen more than 400 boys at the most. Would love to know where they had hidden the other 600 or so!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

2ndchildmum, I was going to disagree with you but then changed my mind and deleted my post.

I really thought the for the top band at least, the catchment would remain wide but now I'm not so sure.

There is another point to consider - the new Harris academy is fighting for those highly academic kids too so who knows what will happen.

I would apply - afterall you have got to be in it to win it!
SHELBELLE

Post by SHELBELLE »

Hi

Thanks for your thoughts and comments, much appreciated.

Yes if he doesn't pass 11+ I will def put it as I have nothing to loose and I have only got 2 comps to put in my borough for the 4 choices HELP!!!

Thanks agagin

S.B.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I've been advised to look at Cleeve Park by so many people - many of whom have children that the schools thought ought to pass the 11+ but who just missed out. Their children are all very happy - they stream all subjects and the children are really being encouraged to work hard. It has had a bad reputation but it has a new head and also, i think , a lot of new senior management team.

We are looking round next Friday, so I'll see what i think
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I work there and I would ignore past rumours and sum it up for yourself. I think this school is a winner for boys and technically minded girls.
The staff are very friendly too!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Shelbelle

The Bexley admissions booklet says that for 2008 admissions to Hurstmere went to the following distances:

Band 1 - all applicants offered a place
Band 2 - 2.2 miles
Band 3 - 0.8 miles
Band 4 - 0.7 miles
Band 5 - 0.8 miles

I'm sure 2childmum is right about Band 1 pupils being largely grammar material or thereabouts.

But nothing ventured ...!
traceyanne

Post by traceyanne »

I went to the open day a couple of Saturdays ago and read the situation as: yes they would be banded according to ability ( and yes they expect less boys to take the test this year because of the 11 plus results being out first - thus lowering the overall level of the top band a little); next they said they would take the siblings of present boys from each band (they said that this took a surprising high percentage - meaning plenty of parents satisfied with the school); after this, most of the rest of the percentage left was down to distance from school. Maybe if the cut off were in a house of twins where there was only one vacancy left would they use the highest score (though I doubt this would happen very much!) but other than this once the boys were in the bands they said those scores were no longer used again.
They did mention that the Bexley test results and sats results would be used for streaming ( not many schools admit to using the Bexley tests).
My son and I loved the school, which really takes the pressure off of the 11 plus.
SHELBELLE

Post by SHELBELLE »

Thanks guys.

I will have a look at Cleeve Park , don't know anything about it really and not sure on distances... will check my Bexley book.

BM2

Thanks for the distance info, looks loke I don't have a prayer though as as a guess I would say we are roughly 4 miles!!!! Oh well as you say nothing ventured.... I've got to fill the blanks on my Caf with something!!! Maybe he will pass and this won't have to come in to the equation!!!

Fingers crossed.

Thanks

S.B.X
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now